Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Advice on Moon Filter please

Wanting to buy a Moon filter but unsure and confused, so some advice would be appreciated please

1.25" and unsure what the 'Transmission' figure quoted actually is, want to buy just one to start with, so which quoted 'Transmission' figure should I go for?

Many thanks in advance

Dave

I got onw with an Eyepiece set and the trasmission figure is 18%. Still a bit bright when half and above tbh.

OK cheers but I am a total beginner, so questions are which eliminates brightness more, a Filter with 'Transmission' of say 13% or 25%?

Word Transmission is the issue, would tend to go for the higher figure but if it transmits more light then less light would be required so maybe the lower figure?

Hope this isnt a dumb question and I sound like the total numpty which I am :(

You are corect. The lower figure means more light is blocked.

Although a bit more money I would recommend a polarising moon filter. This allows the level of transmission to be adjusted to suit exactly what you need for the phase of the Moon. It's good for Venus too.

Mike

You are corect. The lower figure means more light is blocked.

Although a bit more money I would recommend a polarising moon filter. This allows the level of transmission to be adjusted to suit exactly what you need for the phase of the Moon. It's good for Venus too.

Mike

Many thanks Mike, so would a Transmission Filter of say 13% be acceptable as my only (first) Moon Filter?

I have only just bought my first ever scope and due to clouds not even used it yet (on the sky!) but it performs amazingly with telegraph poles miles away which is what I have practised on today for the first time :(

I got two HIRCH filters from a US ebay site for the same price as one in UK.

One is 15% the other 50% and if your glare sensitive then you can always screw them together.

I find 15% on full moon is needed but the 39 useful with small crecents.

You do need to take into account the light gathering of the scope. Mine is an 8"SCT

... I would recommend a polarising moon filter. This allows the level of transmission to be adjusted to suit exactly what you need for the phase of the Moon. ...

I agree with Mike, a variable polarising filter is the way to go. You can get one for a little as £27.

... I would recommend a polarising moon filter. This allows the level of transmission to be adjusted to suit exactly what you need for the phase of the Moon. ...

I agree with Mike, a variable polarising filter is the way to go. You can get one for a little as £27.

Many thanks everyone for help and advice, but paying £27 for a filter is almost as much as I paid for my scope (used LIDL Bresser Skylux) and having a play around before I decide what to invest my cash in when I like what I (and more importantly the wife) are seeing and enjoying,,,,, this hobby though after 37 years of marriage looks like being our first joint venture (as a hobby)

Then hopefully it will be 'we' rather than 'I' stated on the purchases above which should make life easier

You want cheap you have this:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=mnd96moon

No idea what the figures are though . . . .

A quick google gives this:

Density: 0.9

Transmission: 13%

Clear aperture: 26mm

Coating: Anti-reflection coating on glass's both sides

JUST clicked buy it now on eBay and bought this (sorry to Steve at FLO but just bought a Starview Red LED torch from him)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=380099583222&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=025

Archived