NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A brief session

Barry-W-Fenner

The sky seemed to be nice and blue about 3pm today, I managed to get home in good time and set the 300p up to try and get a look at how close  Jupiter & Saturn are now. I haven't seen them for quite a few weeks and was surprised how close together they are now to the naked eye. I had a look at big jupiter with the 30mm Aero ED, unfortunately I couldn't get the pair into the same FOV yet. It was good to just nudge the scope slightly and find Saturn close by! I tried the same thing with my 17.5mm Morpheus. I was hoping the 76 degree afov would do the trick but I got a very similar result. I am encouraged that over the next couple of weeks we should get some good views of these two giants in the same FOV.

I attempted to find Neptune next, however the conditions had deteriorated quite a bit and few was forming on the tube and mist in the air. It wasn't long before my finder scope lenses were covered in dew along with my 17.5mm EP. I packed up but was very pleased to set the 300p up and get a short while at the ep!

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, John said:

A short session is better than no session - nice report Barry :smiley:

Thank you John. It certainly wasn't anything spectacular but was great to finally get back out.

I have read that some folks on. Here have managed to get jupiter & Saturn in the same FOV already. I am surprised I didn't mange to achieve this.

2 hours ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

Thank you John. It certainly wasn't anything spectacular but was great to finally get back out.

I have read that some folks on. Here have managed to get jupiter & Saturn in the same FOV already. I am surprised I didn't mange to achieve this.

This evening they were 1.26 degrees apart. The 30mm Aero ED should just about fit them both in the FoV with hardly any room to spare. The 17.5mm Morpheus shows a true field of .88 of a degree so it's time is yet to come, as it were.

• Thanks 1