NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ5 DEC axis very stiff

xaniac

Hello everyone!

I bought a used EQ5 synscan for a bargain and thought everything was well until I tried the axis. Very stiff. It requires some force to move and cannot move freely at all. Any tips? 

I've never really opened it up before so I know nothing about the internals.

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

the EQ5 my synscan came on (used) is also quite stiff, more so on the RA axis. Thankfully I had another EQ5 so swapped the rig across as that one ran freely so now drives smoothly. The original mount I found I was getting grating of the gears at the sticky points on the axis. I've yet to get around to stripping mine down, I just use it manually for the moment but it is annoying that I sometimes have to give the counterweight a shove to get RA movement. I'll sort it one day...

Try also unscrewing the setscrew shown below, the movement can be very stiff as it engages with a kind of fluid clutch mechanism.

The screw can if over tightened protrude onto the inner ring bearing surface and also deforming it causing it to stick and grate.

download.png.2a79cbe2b157814edc4474046e7e0b25.png 

Alan

Edited by Alien 13