NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which telescope?

I have the Heritage 130p and the Heritage Virtuoso with 90p MCT (at home) and 114 Newtonian (holiday home) optical tubes. Both systems are very good. When I bought the 130p, the 150p had not been manufactured, and I would probably have gone for the 150p, had it been available. This is an idea of size, including a 1 foot/30 cm ruler.

1113045670_130pVirtuoso90.thumb.jpg.d786ad0ed2e3feb838d75a7598cdc97e.jpg

These are a few additions that I have made to the 130p's mount.

107025472_130pMountadditions.jpg.57173219001077cbb8ece02dab954901.jpg

The green patio stool/table makes an excellent stand, as does the round glass-topped table in the background of the first photo.

The Virtuoso mount has 3 modes: (1) fully manual - similar to the 130p's mount, (2) tracking - useful when changing eyepieces, (3) full GoTo with the Synscan handset borrowed from my Skyliner mount.

Geoff

Hi, 

I've decided on the heritage 150p - for the extra £50 it seems well worth the upgrade on the 130.

Ive found somewhere that is expecting an order next week so fingers crossed - thanks everyone for the advice! 

I don't like spending ££££ on things I don't know anything about as I hate wasting money!!!! 

Hopefully by the new year we will be able to marvel over the night sky (that's if we get any clear night's) 

• Like 3

On 10/12/2020 at 12:23, Ladynat999 said:

Thanks everyone. 

I see jessops have celestron PS1000 newtonian reflector in stock - is this one rubbish? 

Hi there, never buy from a high street shop, always buy from a dedicated supplier who knows what they sell and can give good advice and service, like the forum sponsors, FLO.  Good luck & clear skies!

2 hours ago, Ladynat999 said:

I've decided on the heritage 150p - for the extra £50 it seems well worth the upgrade on the 130.

A very good decision. I'm using it's smaller brother, the 130 P Flextube, as a very capable grab-and-go scope, and am always astonished at it's optical quality. Good to hear, that it will be in stock at FLO within a few days. Fix the helical focuser's slop with some centimeters of plumber's PTFE tape (just wrap it around the moving part), adjust the RDF finder during the day, using a very distant target, that you center in the scope, then align the finder. Have fun (it seems, as if you are affected with the astro virus as well as your partner)

Stephan

17 hours ago, Nyctimene said:

A very good decision. I'm using it's smaller brother, the 130 P Flextube, as a very capable grab-and-go scope, and am always astonished at it's optical quality. Good to hear, that it will be in stock at FLO within a few days. Fix the helical focuser's slop with some centimeters of plumber's PTFE tape (just wrap it around the moving part), adjust the RDF finder during the day, using a very distant target, that you center in the scope, then align the finder. Have fun (it seems, as if you are affected with the astro virus as well as your partner)

Stephan

Thanks for the advice - rothervalleyoptics are having this scope back in stock next week so looks like the best option for Xmas however I'm keeping an eye on FLO. 

I had a crappy 2nd hand scope decades ago but it was enough to see Saturn's rings which made me want more. 

I think it's a fantastic hobby for either solo or for couples (or parents and kids). Absolutely can't wait, just hope he likes his present! 

• Like 2

As the 150 P Flextube is the same build like it's smaller brother, the 130 P, you may find a lot of experiences, advices and hints in the huge (187 pages!) CloudyNights thread on the 130 P. The AWB  One Sky Newtonian (=Astronomers without Borders) scope is identical with the 130 P Flextube, just another brand. A good read during the overcast nights, that will come with the purchase of a new scope.... 😉 (FLO packages are, AFAIK,  labeled with "May contain clouds")

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/463109-onesky-newtonian-astronomers-without-borders/

Clear Skies!

Stephan

Edited by Nyctimene
  • Like 1