Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What camera and what zoom setting? If you know the sensor diagonal, you can calculate it as 57.3 * D /FL, where D is the sensor diagonal in mm) and FL is the lens focal length (in mm). I hope I got that right!

Edited by wulfrun

55 minutes ago, wulfrun said:

What camera and what zoom setting? If you know the sensor diagonal, you can calculate it as 57.3 * D /FL, where D is the sensor diagonal in mm) and FL is the lens focal length (in mm). I hope I got that right!

Canon 80D was hoping to get the FOV of both ends... 70mm and 200mm.

56 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Check this

http://astronomy.tools/calculators/field_of_view/

The moon has an angular size of about 0.5 degrees

Thanks for that but the site is a bit confusing to me ... as it shows Telescope and eyepiece, and I have neither.

9 minutes ago, shropshire lad said:

Canon 80D was hoping to get the FOV of both ends... 70mm and 200mm.

Thanks for that but the site is a bit confusing to me ... as it shows Telescope and eyepiece, and I have neither.

Just switch the view to imaging mode, most Canon cameras are listed as well as some lenses but you can just add your own info.

Alan

42 minutes ago, shropshire lad said:

There is an Imaging Mode on that site. You can enter a custom telescope (= lens), where you specify focal length and aperture (FL / F-number). For a 70 mm lens at f/4, the focal length = 70 and aperture = 70/4 = 17.5

607077483_Skrmklipp2020-12-0719_32_59.thumb.png.c535a34a77f7a3da5604747cf151c978.png

Here's the moon at 70 mm with a Canon camera

1030229490_Skrmklipp2020-12-0719_36_09.thumb.png.6eca34eb53d86bd4b7329aa881dfec97.png

1 hour ago, shropshire lad said:

Thanks @wimvb for that, but surely the f stop wont affect the FOV will it, 

No, but it will determine the optical resolution of the lens (so called Dawes limit), ie if two stars that are close to each other, can be separated in the view.

• Like 1