Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Longish storage of a SCT scope.

Because of various reasons, not least the weather, I am hardly using my C9.25. I did ponder selling it, but know I will regret it in the future, I will end up just not replacing it, so will lose it. Therefore I think I will put it aside in the spare room, until my circumstance changes. The thing is, I seem to remember someone saying that it it is best to get it out every few months, or so and run the focusser all the way from one end to the other, to prevent isues with the focuser. Is this true?

Any other tips on taking care of a SCT, or other scope in longer term storage would be apreciated. I already use a desiccant cap thing, in the end, of all my scopes.

Edited by Greymouser

I’m not sure what kind of focuser issues we are talking about (perhaps stiffness or increased mirror shift?) but what I can say is that my twenty year old SCT has been stored in pretty much the same position for its lifetime (mostly horizontal in a case with desiccant in the cap), including long periods where I didn’t use it at all, and the scope, including the focuser, still works just fine. I would say just keep it safe from damp, dust and dents and preferably horizontal and I would think it would be fine for long periods. 

Edited by RobertI
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1