Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Where to store a 130P Newtonian

Hi all...

Another newbie with lots of questions, I'm trying to ask them all in the correct areas of the forum!

I've a StarQuest 130P on the way, my first scope. It comes with an EQ-3 mount and tripod. 

My question is where's the best place to store it when not in use? I basically have two options. One is inside the house, and the other is in the garden shed. Obviously it's less 'in the way' in the shed, and I'm assuming, probably incorrectly, that if it lives in the shed, its temperature should be much closer to outside conditions, probably just a few degrees warmer than whatever it is outside. I'd also store it in either place with the tube cover on etc.

I assume it's ok to leave the scope attached to the mount/tripod the whole time? Should I try to get some sort of cloth cover for it too? Should the EPs also be in the shed, or should they be indoors? The shed is a standard wood shed, it's dry but can be dusty and a lot of spiders call it home!

Any advice appreciated, thanks!

I keep my dob in the shed. I don't think it has suffered any damage for it and as you guessed, is closer to the ambient temperature and so takes less time to cool. My eyepieces are kept in an eyepiece case inside the house, but I think they would be fine if kept in the case in the shed as well. I did buy a second hand eyepiece that had just been stored on a shelf in an observatory and condensation had seeped into the eyepiece and marked the interior lens surfaces so I would avoid storing anything in a damp location. 

• Thanks 1

I store a 150PL in my shed. I put a plastic bag over each end (over the tube cap on that end), retained with a large elastic band. I also always put the EP plug in. Haven't had it all that long but it hasn't suffered (yet!). The bags keep any spiders out. It's not exactly sealed, so it can "breathe" a bit. My EPs live in the house.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I keep my 12 inch dobsonian in the corner of the dining room. I can put it out quickly through the french windows and it does not take too long to cool. It's useable at low to medium magnifications after about 15 minutes. 30-40 minutes before high magnifications can be used to best effect.

• Thanks 1

I keep mine in the house , partly because the shed is a disaster area of garden tools, bags of compost and spare bits of timber, but mostly because it's convenient to take them outside through the back door and plonk them close to it to cool down. If the weather changes, it only takes a moment to bring them back in.

I put waterproof covers over them while they cool , just in case . The covers are the ones that came with my Lowe Alpine 35L and 45L rucsacs , I don't need them for the 'sacs because I use roll top drybags inside instead, but I knew those  rectangles of waterproof orange material with elastic shock - cord around the perimeter seam would come in useful one day !

• Thanks 1