Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mars (x2) IR-RGB - 22 Nov 2020

geoflewis

This is my 1st successful session imaging Mars since 4 Nov, so well over 2 weeks ago. It is also quite possibly my last session imaging the red planet this apparition, but you never know....

Mars is receding from Earth quite quickly and now only displays a disc diameter of 16 arcseconds, about 75% of what was seen at closest approach early/mid October; that said, it is still about as big as it will appear at maximum, when it comes around again in approx 2 years time.

Seeing on 22 Nov was poor to fair at best, but I have finally managed to get an image with Olympus Mons fairly central and also a hint of the 3 Tharsis volcanoes.

Mars_2020Nov22_20240_gdbl_rgb(x2)_afp.jpg.6189d037147ae243ff9ac023a8ceb6c5.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• Like 6

Great images Geoff. I haven’t had a chance to get out for sometime now due to the poor weather here, and typical that Mars is receding so quickly.

Looks like we will have to grab all the opportunities when they arise now, also any chance of a pointer on your pic of Olympus Mons? 

2 hours ago, jock1958 said:

Great images Geoff. I haven’t had a chance to get out for sometime now due to the poor weather here, and typical that Mars is receding so quickly.

Looks like we will have to grab all the opportunities when they arise now, also any chance of a pointer on your pic of Olympus Mons? 

Thanks. I've annotated the below image for Olympus Mons. It's not the best image, but at least I've got it 🙂

1905894564_Mars_2020Nov22_20240_gdbl_rgb(x2)_afp_OlympusMons.jpg.758388f948785a10a1ea0d3ccd08aad3.jpg

Edited by geoflewis
Added not ‘it’s NOT the best image....’
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1