NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dehumidifier Suggestions?

Midnight_lightning

I am close to completing an observatory in my garage that will measure 8'x8'x6' and would like a dehumidifier to keep everything dry. The Obsy will be well sealed and the garage is well ventilated so it shouldn't need anything very powerful. I am looking for something that will work at low temperatures (from around 1C to 5C) and be cheap to run. 

I have seen various small desiccant ones advertised that sound ideal but they have very mixed reviews. 

Be great to hear from anyone that has one that works. 

Living in Scotland we have 80-100% humidity pretty much all year round.  I had thought that with plenty of ventilation my obsy would remain condensation free however, it only takes a rise in air temperature of a couple of degrees and moisture would form on the cold mount and scope and everything made of metal leading to rust.

I run my Neostar Desiccant Dehumidifier 24 hrs a day 365 days a year.  I keep it at 60% humidity and being plumbed in (hose through the obsy floor) it never requires maintenance or even looking at.  The gentle heat it outputs keeps the obsy a few degrees above ambient temperature but not so much that I have to wait for the scope to cool before use.  I can highly recommend one based on my experience.

Images - Instructions,  Typical weather, Chart of temperature and humidity this last year. Up spikes in humidity are when I've had the roof open.

Dehumidifier.png

2020-11-20.JPG

ObsyTempHum.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 29/11/2020 at 13:55, steppenwolf said:

I have recently bought this one to replace my original that died after several years of faithful service in my observatory and it's working very well indeed and - importantly - it returns to its previous settings after a power cut.

Hi,

looking at buying one of these, so am I correct in assuming. that I could run this from a timer plug, as it will co tinge from where it left off each time it comes on, unlike some of the digital button types...?

cheers

Stuart

On 05/05/2021 at 16:04, Stuart1971 said:

looking at buying one of these, so am I correct in assuming. that I could run this from a timer plug, as it will co tinge from where it left off each time it comes on, unlike some of the digital button

Yes, that would work fine - I actually switch mine off and on remotely but the important thing is that it retains its setting from the previous session.

19 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

Yes, that would work fine - I actually switch mine off and on remotely but the important thing is that it retains its setting from the previous session.

Thanks for the reply....

Yes I am now using it via a smart plug, and seems to work well, but am noticing a bit of water in the bottom of the unit under the container, I empty each day when there is about an inch of water, and when I remove there is a bit in the bottom, and it’s not coming from the water outlet spout....so am wondering if I have an issue....

Stuart