NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ASI 1600mm pro unknown residue on sensor

Bigfoot 9907

I purchased an ASI1600mm pro (mono) camera 6 months ago and what a great camera. I'd been using it without any issues, however, after a 4 week break i went back to it and took a 5 second test shot only to see an horrendous artefact on the left hand site of the image which did not lessen over time. I removed the camera, and noticed a streak of some residue running down the RHS of the sensor. I have had the camera in the warm house now for a couple of days and the residue hasn't evaporated.

Any ideas what it could be? I'm concerned the residue may be coming from the sensor itself due to some fault.

I haven't tried to clean the streak off the sensor as I feel that removing the lid of the camera to get at it may invalidate the warranty.  

IMG_5697.thumb.jpg.c489c5f849d40c83c881b36713a5940a.jpg

sensor issue (1).JPG

Edited by Bigfoot 9907

39 minutes ago, Bigfoot 9907 said:

I purchased an ASI1600mm pro (mono) camera 6 months ago and what a great camera. I'd been using it without any issues, however, after a 4 week break i went back to it and took a 5 second test shot only to see an horrendous artefact on the left hand site of the image which did not lessen over time. I removed the camera, and noticed a streak of some residue running down the RHS of the sensor. I have had the camera in the warm house now for a couple of days and the residue hasn't evaporated.

Any ideas what it could be? I'm concerned the residue may be coming from the sensor itself due to some fault.

I haven't tried to clean the streak off the sensor as I feel that removing the lid of the camera to get at it may invalidate the warranty. 

Its likely to just be water or a water mark.

Having the camera in a warm house will not work as the moisture is sealed inside the camera.

Removing the top of the camera will not invaliate the warrently.

Follow my instructions here, use a pure cotton bud to wipe over the sensor cover glass.

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/345559-asi1600mm-pro-desiccant-change/

Adam

• Like 1

I found that condensation can get into the sensor cavity and sometimes gets deposited onto the sensor. It's easy to clean up with a little, Baader wonder fluid & cloth.

You may also need to dry out the desiccant tablets, I use a microwave oven, just don't mix up the internal and external tablets as they are different sizes !!  

Yes in the other thread I quoted two people who have this week had oily residue on their 2600 Sensors, apparantly at least several people have had this occur recently, someone chimed in with this on an fb page discussing possible causes, not sure if applicable though;

It’s the lubricant from the o-ring gasket. It gets warm and drips into the housing and across the edge of the sensor as the telescope travels around on the mount. I think in your case you store it on it’s side and when it’s warm enough it drips down. You can clean it off the sensor but be sure to get all of it off the pcb otherwise it will continue to migrate when it gets warm.