Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Filter advice needed

Hello fellow stargazers, I am here to pick your collective brains again!

I live in a Bortle6 area, so LP is a problem. I am thinking about buying a filter to help with this. My current setup is a Nikon D3300 attached to a T ring, which is attached directly to the focusser of my Skywatcher 200P.

Ideally I would get a clip in filter for the Nikon, as I don't have to change very much in the imaging train then. However, there are very few clip-in filters for my camera, so I am wondering whether I could use a 1.25" or 2" filter somehow.

Does anyone have any idea how I could do this? Would I need some sort of adapter?

Many thanks!

Edited by Jm1973

21 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

You don't say what your mount is but that scope would be fine for planetary imaging and you don't need a light pollution filter for that.

Hi Peter. The mount is an EQ5 Synscan Pro Goto.

Sorry I should have said, I am imaging DSOs. 

For DSO imaging your filter choice will depend on target types.

Emission nebulae: dual-band (Ha & OIII) or tri-band (Ha, Hb & OIII) filters are the best.

Galaxies and reflective nebulae: none.

I don't recommend any Light pollution suppression filters unless there are street lamps in close approximity to where you image. I've personally tried the IDAS LPS D2 filter while imaging M31 and M45 (I live in a Bortle 5 area). The result wasn't very good.

Edited by KP82
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jm1973 said:

OK, I think I've figured it out. The nosepiece that my T-ring fits into has a 35mm thread on the inside.

I'm guessing I can put a filter in there?

For DSLR you've got two options:

1. Clip-on style that goes inside the mirror box

2. M48 (2") screw on (this is what I use)

Edited by KP82
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KP82 said:

For DSLR you've got two options:

1. Clip-on style that goes inside the mirror box

2. M48 (2") screw on (this is what I use)

Thanks. 

I've got a Nikon APS-C, so clip in options are limited.

If I went for the 2" version, where would I put it? That's what I'm confused about. Would I need a filter wheel, or is there a simpler option?

6 minutes ago, Jm1973 said:

Thanks. 

I've got a Nikon APS-C, so clip in options are limited.

If I went for the 2" version, where would I put it? That's what I'm confused about. Would I need a filter wheel, or is there a simpler option?

If your FR/FF has a 2" nosepiece or M48 female thread at the scope end, you will install the filter there. This is the most straight forward method.

If however your FR/FF is a 2.5"+ screw on type, then you will have to install the filter in a M48 extension tube. This method will require careful adjustment in the spacing between FR/FF and the camera. You may need a low-profile T-ring if you run out of backfocus distance.

Edited by KP82
  • Like 1