Dso setup

msoataf

Hi

I think you might look for a smaller lighter less demanding telescope for the tripod, smaller like perhaps the 130P-DS or something smaller if not using it for visual.

Imaging payload on a tripod is less than for visual.

The ASI120 is more of a guiding or planetary camera, for the same cost maybe a second hand canon DSLR like a 550D might suit for DSO.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, smashing said:

For a first step into it I would either be getting a modded DSLR, lens and star adventurer or if you were happy to spend a bit more then a decent amount (HEQ5 or better) with a modded DSLR and small refractor.

The problem with refractors is that they are so expensive. And if you wanted to go up to a longer focal length, it’s just too much money.

2 minutes ago, msoataf said:

The problem with refractors is that they are so expensive. And if you wanted to go up to a longer focal length, it’s just too much money.

A skywatcher ed pro 80 isn't that much money compared to that reflector.

Tbh if you're just starting out this is a complicated and frustrating endeavour and a small wide field refractor and second hand modded DSLR camera would be the way I'd go.