NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Power HEQ5 Pro from ASIAIR PRO?

Hi Guys, I'm quite new to all of this and trying to tidy up my cables!!

Does anyone power their mount from the ASIAIR PRO 12V ports?

The Skywatcher website specifies Power Supply: 11 to 15 V DC 2Amp (Tip positive) for the HEQ5 Pro (which actually sounds a bit low) and each of the 4 x 12V ports on the ASIAIR PRO provides 3A max.  To be on the safe side I was considering using 2 ports in parallel providing 12V 6A max to the HEQ5.

I was also considering using the 2 remaining ports to power 2 x 12V 1.4A dew heaters.

Stupid ideas?  Opinions?  Would very much appreciate some comments please :)

Hi Adrian, dew heaters are no problem (you can control them from the ap). But some where in my extensive research into the asiair Pro I'm sure I read something about NOT powering mounts from the unit because they couldn't guarantee a smooth supply.  Here is the addy of the zwo/asiair Pro forum if you want to do some digging. 

https://bbs.astronomy-imaging-camera.com/

Yes it can be done. I have run my Sky-Watcher AZ EQ5-GT from a ASIair pro power point. Problem was I was also running the Focuser and the Main Camera power from there also. I wanted to use 2 ports for the dew shields (Main and Guide scopes). So went back to Powering the mount from the Mains supply. You can also run the EQMOD cable for ASCOM direct from the mount to one of the USB2 ports on ASIair Pro. No more Cables to the PC. I use the iPad to control it all with just one Cable running to a Regulated Linear Power supply and a Cig lighter adaptor with a splitter to give 2 outlets to Power the Mount and the ASIair Pro.

Thanks valleyman, I could see no logical reason why it wouldnt work but I'm no expert and wanted some feedback before potentially frying my ASIair Pro!

I'm also going to power the mount from a separate 240AC/12VDC supply having previously got the flashing red light using a powerbank and already found that the EQMOD cable works just fine from the ASIair Pro USB port.

Wondering if you could also let me know which Regulated Linear Power supply you use?

I'm very grateful for your reply :)

16 hours ago, Adrian J said:

Hi Guys, I'm quite new to all of this and trying to tidy up my cables!!

Does anyone power their mount from the ASIAIR PRO 12V ports?

The Skywatcher website specifies Power Supply: 11 to 15 V DC 2Amp (Tip positive) for the HEQ5 Pro (which actually sounds a bit low) and each of the 4 x 12V ports on the ASIAIR PRO provides 3A max.  To be on the safe side I was considering using 2 ports in parallel providing 12V 6A max to the HEQ5.

I was also considering using the 2 remaining ports to power 2 x 12V 1.4A dew heaters.

Stupid ideas?  Opinions?  Would very much appreciate some comments please :)

I don't know if the ASIAIR PRO uses DC-DC converters to provide regulated 12V outputs.  The user guide warns that continual use at a low input voltage could case the case temperature to rise to 70C which would suggest that it does, but the easiest way to check is to see if the 12V outputs track the input voltage or they remain fixed at 12V independent of the input supply.  If the remain fixed, indicating DC-DC converters are used, I would not recommend paralleling the 12V outputs. At best it's unlikely they will share the current evenly, at worst it could damage the unit.

Thanks Sealive and Davey-T, appeciated.  It doesnt sound such a good idea to parallel the outputs and as long as I dont damage the ASIair Pro I'll try powering the mount from one output port.

Spec for the HEQ5 Pro; 11 to 15 V DC 2Amp so the 12V output port at 3A *should* be okay in theory and I guess ZWO are just covering themselves not knowing which model of mount is being used.

I'll report back when I've tried it.

Thanks again to all.

• 1 month later...