Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Imaging with Eos40D - no image

spacedog

22 hours ago, spacedog said:

Hello toxic so basically what you are saying is the aperture is governed by the scope,no matter what i set camera on,is that correct ?

yes the aperture is the size of the mirror or front element  of the telescope and can not be altered by the camera only by physically putting something in front of the lens/mirror so it collects less light by say putting a scope cover on with a hole in it.

1 hour ago, Matt61 said:

It looks like a focussing screen. They're made of hard plastic. It will go back in . Try not touch it. They come with a special tool which is effectively plastic tweezers. If you google changing canon focussing screen it comes up. I think there's video too. You haven't wrecked the camera at worst it may be scratched which you may see through the viewfinder. 

Thanks for that i googled and got it back in,bought scope in as weather closed in.Tried using camera on M with a 8 tl 55 lens  on live view,nothing appearded on screen assumingii have done job correct and not made things worse.

2 hours ago, spacedog said:

Thanks for that i googled and got it back in,bought scope in as weather closed in.Tried using camera on M with a 8 tl 55 lens  on live view,nothing appearded on screen assumingii have done job correct and not made things worse.

Double check your live view settings. Pay attention to exposure simulation in live view. Its all tucked away in one of the sub menus . Lens needs to be on manual focus . Make sure liveview is set in the menu. Finally it's not obvious but you don't press the shutter button to turn it on it's done via the set button ( the one in middle of large rotating ring on back ) 

17 hours ago, Matt61 said:

Double check your live view settings. Pay attention to exposure simulation in live view. Its all tucked away in one of the sub menus . Lens needs to be on manual focus . Make sure liveview is set in the menu. Finally it's not obvious but you don't press the shutter button to turn it on it's done via the set button ( the one in middle of large rotating ring on back ) 

Hi thanks for info must admit i am a bit lost and confused on exposure simulations,it is some thing i have not heard of before.I have googled this but they seem to explain something as if you allready understood it in part,my camera knowledge is zero in manual mode.Still wondering if i  put the focusing  think back in correctly i cant seem to focus at all now.lol i really do need the muppets guide for this.

Edited by spacedog
neede to add something

22 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Please don’t discount the 40d. I regularly used mine and @MarsG76 uses one.

Its more than adequate.

Hopefully that’s just a little focusing screen and has no bearing on functionality of the camera. 

I agree, don't underestimate the (full spectrum modded) 40D just because it's a DSLR and because it's "old" tech... this DSLR has delivered some great images at various focal lengths, and is no where near as noisy as what has been stated, and when I cooled it, the noise almost all disappeared, in even 20 & 30 minutes subs.

The 40D is a APS-C sized sensor equipped camera which is only 10 megapix, meaning that the physical pixels on the chip are bigger than in newer cameras which are double or even quadruple the resolution, and a bigger surface area is bound to get hit by more photos.

I actually compared my unmodded 40D to my unmodded 7D DSLRs capturing a galaxy a couple of years ago, comparing with the same ISO and same exposure time and the 40D subs were noticeably brighter, with more of the fainter galaxy features in the subs.... and the 7D is only 8 megapixels more in resolution, with not smaller sensor pixels surface area than on the 40D.  

22 hours ago, spacedog said:

Not sure what that part is i now find camera only works on auto,trying to focus on M and live view does not work now that bit has fell out of camera.

Thats only the focus assist filter, easy to put back in place, and the DSLR operation should not change without it installed.

13 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

I agree, don't underestimate the (full spectrum modded) 40D just because it's a DSLR and because it's "old" tech... this DSLR has delivered some great images at various focal lengths, and is no where near as noisy as what has been stated, and when I cooled it, the noise almost all disappeared, in even 20 & 30 minutes subs.

The 40D is a APS-C sized sensor equipped camera which is only 10 megapix, meaning that the physical pixels on the chip are bigger than in newer cameras which are double or even quadruple the resolution, and a bigger surface area is bound to get hit by more photos.

I actually compared my unmodded 40D to my unmodded 7D DSLRs capturing a galaxy a couple of years ago, comparing with the same ISO and same exposure time and the 40D subs were noticeably brighter, with more of the fainter galaxy features in the subs.... and the 7D is only 8 megapixels more in resolution, with not smaller sensor pixels surface area than on the 40D.  

That doesn't really help someone who by their own admission doesn't really understand the camera. Perhaps you could run through how live view works on a 40d seeing you own one. Is it possible ( I've read online) that live view only works in one of the creative modes and not full manual.

6 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

Live View works in all modes....

7 hours ago, Matt61 said:

That doesn't really help someone who by their own admission doesn't really understand the camera. Perhaps you could run through how live view works on a 40d seeing you own one. Is it possible ( I've read online) that live view only works in one of the creative modes and not full manual.

Hi all yes i do not understand my camera fo sure,my previous hobby was making tall ships out of wood but als it turned into a to expensive hobby.i have a interest in the  sky for a long time and decided to have a go,i bought mt Skywatcher 150 of harrison telescopes and the  camers 40D second handfrom a online camera shop.All my photos previosly have been with a compact point and shoot,this is a new ballpark for and a bit confusing lol.I am sure i will get there in the end .just need some decent weather

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spacedog said:

Hi all yes i do not understand my camera fo sure,my previous hobby was making tall ships out of wood but als it turned into a to expensive hobby.i have a interest in the  sky for a long time and decided to have a go,i bought mt Skywatcher 150 of harrison telescopes and the  camers 40D second handfrom a online camera shop.All my photos previosly have been with a compact point and shoot,this is a new ballpark for and a bit confusing lol.I am sure i will get there in the end .just need some decent weather

You have to take your time, take baby steps and eventually, sooner rather than later, you will definitely be capturing images that you're amazed by today... but don't give up and know that this is a steep learning curve to climb and it will not be a quick progress... come to think about it, we all keep learning and improving without end, until we die or stop imaging.