Adding Synscan?

I have to say that I am not a Dob user, sadly. But I am sure that if you are using a completely manual Dob adding a SynScan unit in my mind is not possible.

A SynScan unit is the brain that runs the two motors that control Altitude and Azimuth in a powered mount (GOTO). A manual Dob does not have these motor.

There are plenty of Dobs that have GOTO and so have a SynScan unit to control the Dob. There maybe some models of Dobs that can be retro fitted with GOTO systems and a SynScan handset.

If you let us know which Dob you have, I am sure someone more qualified than I can tell you if your Dob can be GOTO and SynScan equipped.

Marv

• Like 1

I have the Skywatcher Skyliner 250PX with built-in Synscan. As Marv mentioned, above, the intelligence is in the handset, and the mount has the 2 motor and gearbox assemblies. These assemblies form an integral part of the support for the optical tube, and are not just an addition to a manual setup. This shows how the tube sits in the mount.

736125417_Dob(2)R.jpg.847f8128a2fbed070e2ff8f44b3dbf4c.jpg

The block, on the left side of the main tube, slides into a groove in the mount's altitude gearbox assembly, and is held in place by the large locking bolt on the top. I believe Skywatcher's solid-tube versions use a similar mounting.

The photo, below, shows the azimuth gearbox. It may be easier to retro-fit to a manual base.

1112693959_Dobwithwebcam2R.jpg.de120e18daa57d1eed795d6039a74f5a.jpg

Other manufacturers are likely to have different systems, but I would expect the ones with built-in GoTo would be cheaper than the combined cost of a manual mount + retro-fit kit.

Geoff

• Like 1

You could buy a pushto or DSC (digital setting circles) to a normal dob. 

Pushto and dsc very similar. tell the hand set where you want to be and it will guide you there. Very accurate, Quicker than goto and also means you do learn the sky as you go along.

• Like 1

As well as GoTo, the Synscan system provides accurate tracking. At dusk, I can do a "Brightest star", (2-star, or, planet + 2-star) alignment; go inside for tea; and come out again when it is properly dark, and the last alignment star will still be in the field of view of a 25mm eyepiece, often close to the centre. The tracking makes it easy to change eyepieces, to select the optimum planet visual clarity/magnification compromise, without having to centre the target again.

Geoff

• Like 1