Light pollution filter instead of Lum?

Endolf

Hi

Back in May I got my first dedicated astro cam, an ASI1600MM, with the 7 position 36mm filter wheel and the ZWO LRGB + narrowband filters. I've been mostly shooting narrowband targets over the summer (well, the few days of clear skies we had.... :)). I've tried a couple of broadband targets recently and I'm getting lots of light pollution (as I did on my DSLR before I installed the IDAS LPS D2). I've been thinking about replacing the L filter for a light pollution filter of some sort to help my broadband images out. It needs to be something I can get in 36mm (unmounted, although from doing some research the Astronomik CLS CCD Filter mounted also fits in the ZWO wheel).

Is this a good approach?, are there many other mono, broadband imagers doing similar things?, if so, does anyone have any recommendations for good broadband light pollution filters that would fit my rig?

Thanks

Tricky. The LP filter may block light that the RGB filters pick up, so there may not be much improvement. Or the LP filter may block so much light that it affects the colour image too much once you combine the L with the RGB.

Otoh, RGB filters have a gap between red and green, because that’s where the most common light polluters are (Sodium and Mercury lights). This makes RGB filters somewhat LP tolerant. I would at least experiment by just collecting RGB and creating a synthetic luminance, before investing in a LP filter.

I have the IDAS D2 light pollution filter but that is intended for OSC cameras - I see you have one for your DSLR. I suppose it would work on mono as it blocks several wavebands of light pollution areas, LED streetlights, tungsten, sodium and mercury vapour etc.

I've never tried it on my mono cameras.