NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

which filter?

I have an Optics UHC filter which is said to be great for nebulae, it did improve the contrast for me but I think it will depend on seeing conditions and the telescope as to by how much.  It's been quite a while since I used mine (mostly because I've been in the astro doldrums in recent years) but this year I'll definitely be giving it a go now that my interest in the hobby has returned.  Note that this filter will turn stars green, and from memory gives the nebula a faint greenish tint.  Definitely worth a go at the price.

• Like 2

Using a bigger aperture then an OIII works amazing on Orion however using a 120mm aperture I would say a UHC would serve you better.

The astronomik from FLO have a nice tight tight bandpass across the relevant frequencies although the much less expensive Explore Scientific are not a million miles behind it if your on a budget.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/uhc-oiii-visual-filters.html

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jonathan said:

I have an Optics UHC filter which is said to be great for nebulae, it did improve the contrast for me but I think it will depend on seeing conditions and the telescope as to by how much.  It's been quite a while since I used mine (mostly because I've been in the astro doldrums in recent years) but this year I'll definitely be giving it a go now that my interest in the hobby has returned.  Note that this filter will turn stars green, and from memory gives the nebula a faint greenish tint.  Definitely worth a go at the price.

31 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

Using a bigger aperture then an OIII works amazing on Orion however using a 120mm aperture I would say a UHC would serve you better.

The astronomik from FLO have a nice tight tight bandpass across the relevant frequencies although the much less expensive Explore Scientific are not a million miles behind it if your on a budget.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/uhc-oiii-visual-filters.html

7 hours ago, alan potts said:

I personally found an Ultra High Contrast filter was best on M42, I have used it in most of my scopes but now do not have one as I tend to use scopes for photography over visual.

Alan

is there a difference with the uhc and uhc third generation of lumicon?

and thank you for your response.

1 minute ago, messier 111 said:

is there a difference with the uhc and uhc third generation of lumicon?

and thank you for your response.

Sorry I have no idea, original Lumicon are generally sort after, I am not sure they are what they once were. I used Astronomik's myself which are as good i believe, don't think you would go wrong with Aastronomik's, FLO sells them and I see good feed-back.

Alan

• Like 1

7 hours ago, alan potts said:

Sorry I have no idea, original Lumicon are generally sort after, I am not sure they are what they once were. I used Astronomik's myself which are as good i believe, don't think you would go wrong with Aastronomik's, FLO sells them and I see good feed-back.

Alan

What he said basically. 

On the same note I would challenge anyone to notice any difference that would make a real difference to your viewing pleasure.

• Like 1

On 02/11/2020 at 16:34, bomberbaz said:

What he said basically. 

On the same note I would challenge anyone to notice any difference that would make a real difference to your viewing pleasure.

so it should be very difficult to see a change. That's what I think too .

I've just been using an Astronomik UHC filter to observe M42 with a 130mm refractor. The moon was not far away so the nebula looked rather washed out without the filter but the UHC made a noticeable difference. Under dark skies with no moonlight about, I would expect even more contrast enhancement.

In an ED120 M42 looks pretty nice without a filter as well of course, as long as the moon is out of the way :smiley:

Edited by John
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, John said:

I've just been using an Astronomik UHC filter to observe M42 with a 130mm refractor. The moon was not far away so the nebula looked rather washed out without the filter but the UHC made a noticeable difference. Under dark skies with no moonlight about, I would expect even more contrast enhancement.

In an ED120 M42 looks pretty nice without a filter as well of course, as long as the moon is out of the way :smiley:

the only problem with uhc, there are so many kinds,
uhc
uhc-s
uhc third generation.
let the red pass, don't let the red pass ouffff

Having owned quite a few UHC's of varying quality I'm quite impressed with the Astronomik. I also have their O-III (in 1.25 inch) which is excellent, a Lumicon O-III (2 inch) also excellent, the Astronomik H-Beta (rarely used but it's shown me the Horsehead Neb) and an older Meade 4000 Nebular Filter (UHC equiv) which is surprisingly good. I'm covered for 2 inch and 1.25 inch deep sky filters now I think :grin:

Edited by John
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, John said:

Having owned quite a few UHC's of varying quality I'm quite impressed with the Astronomik. I also have their O-III (in 1.25 inch) which is excellent, a Lumicon O-III (2 inch) also excellent, the Astronomik H-Beta (rarely used but it's shown me the Horsehead Neb) and an older Meade 4000 Nebular Filter (UHC equiv) which is surprisingly good. I'm covered for 2 inch and 1.25 inch deep sky filters now I think :grin:

with which instrument did you see the horse's head and which eyepiece?

If you are trying to block sky glow, I'd probably recommend a UHC filter.  If you're already in dark skies but want to go after faint outer tendrils, I usually go with an OIII.  Both filters make the Trapezium look really odd, so remove them for enjoying views of it.