Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SkyWatcher Esprit 80 Focuser Accident

Hi,

Awhile back (6 months) I bought an Esprit 80 and just now got around attempting to fit my ZWO EAF onto the scope. Had a bit of slippage and didn’t work great, so I removed it. I’m doing so I ended up doing multiple unfortunate things, first of which is introducing a bit of play or wiggle into the coarse knob on the coarse/fine side of the focuser. Not sure exactly what the issue is, but when moving the coarse knob, it moves a bit before “engaging”. I can verify that it’s not slipping on the actual rod that is screwed onto. 

Secondly, one of the pads under the drawtube fell out and it’s all the way down by the glass in the front of the tube. Really not sure what to do at this point. Scared to pull the focuser out of the drawtube because I don’t want to mess up the bearings. Also scared to send it back to Skywatcher in the event I voided the warranty and/or the pad moves around during shipping and scratches the glass. 

Any advice would be welcome, thanks!

07C47FB8-CCC5-4EC5-8490-8AB277A983C2.thumb.jpeg.b2be8adbc47f62faafc913a6fefe315e.jpeg

1 minute ago, Knighty2112 said:

Does the pad move if you turn the scope at all? If so can’t you slowly turn it and gently shake it so the pad will then fall out the focuser end of the scope if you leave the end open?

It’s kinda of lodged in there. Like it’ll spin around the tube a little bit, but it doesn’t seem like it will fall out. But I’ll try giving that a shot. Once I get it out, what would the plan be? I guess in the event I send the scope back, it would at least be away from the glass at that point 

As @Knighty2112 as said, hold with the glass upwards and turn or shake gently it should come out the focuser end..also what is the pad made of, I assume not metal.. 😮

As for the focus knob play, that is an odd one, as I would have said it was slipping on the rod, but you say not...so is it slipping on the actual tube, in which case it may need some small adjustment...

edit: actually it’s probably the lack of that pad that’s causing the focuser to slip...

Edited by Stuart1971

1 minute ago, Stuart1971 said:

As @Knighty2112 as said, hold with the glass upwards and turn or shake gently it should come out the focuser end..also what is the pad made of, I assume not metal.. 😮

As for the focus knob play, that is an odd one, as I would have said it was slipping on the rod, but you say not...so is it slipping on the actual tube, in which case it may need some small adjustment...

I believe it’s metal :( (the pad). The coarse knob in the coarse/fine side seems to have some sort of an internal assembly, but doesn’t appear to be a way to open it up

Just now, btalcox0715 said:

I believe it’s metal :( (the pad). The coarse knob in the coarse/fine side seems to have some sort of an internal assembly, but doesn’t appear to be a way to open it up

Ok so if it’s metal then a magnet on a stick....should get it out.... 

Alright we are in business! Was a giant pain in the ass but was able to get the pad slid in after removing the focus assembly, and screw it into place. Everything assembled back together and feeling tight. Coarse knob on fine focus side still has a tiny bit of slip, so I may inquire with Skywatcher about a replacement knob. Thanks everyone for the help!

39 minutes ago, btalcox0715 said:

Looks like I might be able to remove the focuser assembly which might allow access to slide the pad in 

Those pads are meant to be fixed in place for the focus tube to slide on...so it will need fitting back properly...in correct position...

25 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

Those pads are meant to be fixed in place for the focus tube to slide on...so it will need fitting back properly...in correct position...

Yep I was able to get it back into correct position. You can see the backside of the 2 screw holes that hold it into place by removing the focuser assembly. Once you have the pad back in between the focus tube and outer shell, it will move freely if you rotate the telescope. Basically just gotta lightly rotate and shake the telescope to get it lined up over the screw holes, and slowly screw the set screws back into place

• Like 1