Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New to Astronomy, telescope buying advice.

Definitely the skyliner for planets I'd say also.  I would recommend the bresser 150/1200 dob, its £80 more and you get better altitude bearings and tube rings (for later changes in mounting) but the finder is pretty naff and it doesn't include the better hexafoc focuser. 

If "sparing no expense" is your agenda you might consider the Orion Optics VX6-L. That and the dob mounting comes to a whopping £576, which is actually reasonable considering its made in the UK.

Edited by Shaun_Astro

3 hours ago, Storm77 said:

Thanks again for the replies very helpful. I suppose "eyeball" observing will be our primary concern here. I was thinking about attaching a phone as well, are there any recommendations for mounts?

Also any thoughts on the skywatcher skyliner 150?

There are after-market, stand-alone mounts of different types: a simple, tripod type alt-azimuth; or an equatorial, which can track objects for you, especially when motorised, but there is a learning-curve with equatorials.  Then, there are the go-to mounts, either an alt-azimuth or an equatorial.  All are differing types of mounts for various tasks, and at varying price-points.

One of the simplest and easiest-to-use upgrades for the "Heritage" 130P or 150P... https://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-azimuth-astronomy-mounts/sky-watcher-az5-deluxe-alt-azimuth-mount.html

The 150mm f/8 Newtonian of the "Skyliner" 150P has been a classic, tried-and-true instrument for decades...

OKHLueL.jpg

That advertisement being from 1963.  The kits were more costly back then, as the mounts were robust; of metal, and motor-driven.  Telescopes were more costly in general during that era, and up to about the year 2000.

But since that time, the 150mm f/8 Newtonian has remained a constant, popular choice.

I won't tell you which one to get, in the end.  All have their strengths and weaknesses, which have already been discussed.  But I would research the choices thoroughly before deciding, for the long run.