NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Powering a synscan mount

8 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

What's the actual mount? i.e. the hardware - Synscan is the software that runs on the mounts, but they will draw different amounts of max instantaneous current, and consume different amounts of power over a session.

Sorry,its a skywatcher discovery wifi goto mount.

8 minutes ago, Tyke 123 said:

Sorry,its a skywatcher discovery wifi goto mount.

OK, as it happens that's what I have.
So it's on the less demanding end of the scale. I've not seen any official figures for it, but when I was putting together my own power supply I put an ammeter in series and measured a maximum of 0.6A while it was slewing at top speed.
It's 12V DC of course, I'm not familiar with your power tank but I assume from your picture that it can supply that.
The other question then is the overall capacity. The "official" SkyWatcher tanks come as either 7Ah or 17Ah. I imagine the Discovery would manage with 7Ah, but it would obviously vary with session duration, ambient temperature, amount of slewing (you can minimize this if you're happy to use the Dual Encoding) etc.

I'm not convinced this will work, as I doubt your synscan has the software to negotiate voltages with a Quickcharge PSU. If it can't negotiate succesfully, the PSU will default to 5V not the 12V you need. Sorry.

David

• Like 1

That does look like quite an array of output voltages, I suppose it might auto-switch depending on the current or voltage demand so personally I'd stick with something simple like a lead-acid or leisure battery (12v), leisure batteries are preferable as they won't take any harm if discharged beyond about 50% capacity, sometimes they are known as 'deep cycle' batteries for this reason.  Buy an off-the-shelf adaptor lead to plug your mount power cable into, bob's your uncle.  Just make sure there's an inline fuse somewhere in the circuit.