NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Connecting AZ-gti mount to windows pc with an EQdirect cable

Hi,

I am new to this forum. I have got an AZ-GTi skywatcher mount.

I can connect the mount to my windows pc (windows 10) via wifi using the wifi on the mount, and EQMOD.

However, I am unable to connect via serial connection using an EQdirect cable connected from the windows USb port

to the mounts control port (no handset). I got a replacement cable from Flow Optics as this was the only part of

the connection loop that I could not test - this made no difference. 

Whenever I try to connect after setting all the settings as recommended on various web sites,  i.e. correct port number

custom settings for the Az-gti, location, etc, I just get  "timeout" please re-connect the telescope.

I have the ASCOMPlatform65, EQUASCOM_V200q and the synscan for windows app.

I have tried connecting using N.I.N.A., but I get the same timeout message.

I have aslo tried connecting via stellarium (works with wifi connection, timeout when using eqdirect cable)

Has anybody any idea what is causing this, I do not know what else to try.

One last note, I am running windows 10 on a MacBook Air under bootcamp (to run windows 10), EQMOD does

not run on apple system.

any help would be much appreciated

Robert

Hello and welcome to SGL. Have you updated the mount's motor control firmware (mcf) to enable the mount to be used in equatorial mode ?  EQMOD only works with Synscan  equatorial mounts so the AZ-GTi needs the mcf update and an equatorial wedge to function with EQMOD. The mount will work in AZ mode in Stellarium using either Stellarium's own mount drivers or through Stellarium and the ASCOM Synscan mount driver or the Synscan App.

• Like 1

Hi, yes i have update the firmware for EQ mode, and this works correctly when connecting with wifi.

I have the skywatcher EQ wedge.

That's the problem, everything works using wifi, won't work with the cable. The only thing left that I can think of, is 

if the handcontrol connector itself is faulty, I have no way of testing this, I do not have a handset.

Thanks for replying

• 8 months later...

Hi, did you get a resolution to this?

I got the cable yesterday and tried it out last night.

NINA targeted OK but the guiding failed in Dec so it was a washout.

WiFi works ok most of the time (targeting and guiding) for 5 min subs but the cable would not play. WiFi is unreliable though so I hoped the cable was the cure.

Did you have any luck?

cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

I got a new eq dir cable from Flo for my az gti mount in EQ mode and had issues with it connecting to my mount, whsdt I didn't realise is that I needed to download the FTDI drivers from their website so the cable had the correct drivers. 

"Drivers - FTDI" https://ftdichip.com/drivers/

And click windows driver installer. 

Then I can connect my Windows synscan software and phd2, not downloaded nina but gave it a test in apt and could contrtol my mount. Still waiting for a clear sky to try pa in sharcap and guiding with phd2 humph been a month now. 

Also in the synscan Windows app selrct connect settings and set to serial and whatever con port your cable is on, mine is generally com3 bit yours maybe different. 

Edited by AstroNebulee

• 7 months later...
26 minutes ago, DusknightbyFatma said:

Hello 

Could you please let us know if it has worked out with you? 

I have been using Stellarmate for one year now and lately been encountering a few problems. So I’m about to switch to NINA. 
I own Az gti Eq mod, QHY and WS61 

Thank you. 

Hi

I pretty much went straight over to an asiair pro after this, just wanted something easy and without hulking the laptop out with everything else. 

If you go over to the az gti mount owners thread, someone there is bound to help you 

Cheers 

Lee 

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/387014-skywatcher-az-gti-mount-owners-thread/

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DusknightbyFatma said:

Hello 

Could you please let us know if it has worked out with you? 

I have been using Stellarmate for one year now and lately been encountering a few problems. So I’m about to switch to NINA. 
I own Az gti Eq mod, QHY and WS61 

Thank you. 

I'm just starting out configuring Stellarmate so I'd be interested to know what problems you've been encountering.

The man reason I've chosen the Stellarmate over the Asiair is that the latter does not support my Sony camera and of course the Stellarmate is cheaper when used with the Raspberry pi.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, LaurenceT said:

I'm just starting out configuring Stellarmate so I'd be interested to know what problems you've been encountering.

The man reason I've chosen the Stellarmate over the Asiair is that the latter does not support my Sony camera and of course the Stellarmate is cheaper when used with the Raspberry pi.

Hello

Here are some of the reasons why I wanted to switch to NINA. Although, my plan was to have something easier and portable

1- The update takes times on stellarmate. 
2- The most worst thing about it is the alignment, it also takes time. 
I’ve had no problem with imaging and stacking but let’s say I can’t leave it alone, I have to go to the roof to check whether it’s completing all the sequences or not. 
3- I remember when I was away for 2 hours and it wasn’t imaging. 
4- lagging! 😭 

5- I stack and process in APP and PS for a better result. 

Thank you. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

Hi

I pretty much went straight over to an asiair pro after this, just wanted something easy and without hulking the laptop out with everything else. 

If you go over to the az gti mount owners thread, someone there is bound to help you 

Cheers 

Lee 

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/387014-skywatcher-az-gti-mount-owners-thread/

Thank you 😊 

• Like 1