Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron StarSense Accessory for Sky-Watcher Mounts

Hi all, 

I am thinking about getting the Celestron StarSense Accessory for Sky-Watcher but l am a bit puzzled as I see people talking about a WiFi adaptor too? Is this something else I need in order for the star sense to work on my SW Mac 127?

16024049268303907212647824784498.jpg

The StarSense I have (different scope), provides a camera and new hand controller (that contains software to run the camera and also duplicates most of the functionality you already have in your existing controller). This is enough to use StarSense's alignment abilities. It doesn't need WiFi to operate.

If you had WiFi as well (built into the mount, or an additional adapter), you then have the ability to connect to a phone or tablet of some kind and use a planetarium program such as SkySafari. Personally I love that way of working as it makes navigating so much easier.

28 minutes ago, Starwatcher2001 said:

The StarSense I have (different scope), provides a camera and new hand controller (that contains software to run the camera and also duplicates most of the functionality you already have in your existing controller). This is enough to use StarSense's alignment abilities. It doesn't need WiFi to operate.

If you had WiFi as well (built into the mount, or an additional adapter), you then have the ability to connect to a phone or tablet of some kind and use a planetarium program such as SkySafari. Personally I love that way of working as it makes navigating so much easier.

Thanks Mark, just the answer I was hoping to hear. 

Cheers. 

Edited by Jimmy Rocket
  • Like 1

StarSense is quite expensive and does have it's own learning curve when you first get it, but for me it's a time-saver. I set up my scope and set StarSense going, and then bring out my eyepiece case, chair, coffee etc. By the time I'm ready to observe, it's finished aligning and I can just slew to the first target of the night. The only other prep I do is bringing my tube outside for an hour before-hand to cool to ambient temperature.

• 2 weeks later...

On 11/10/2020 at 09:29, Jimmy Rocket said:

Hi all, 

I am thinking about getting the Celestron StarSense Accessory for Sky-Watcher but l am a bit puzzled as I see people talking about a WiFi adaptor too? Is this something else I need in order for the star sense to work on my SW Mac 127?

16024049268303907212647824784498.jpg

Hi Jimmy,

Did you get one? How’s it working out? I have the same scope and mount and would like to add a starsense. 

• 1 month later...

I have Synscan on my Skymax mount, and Starsense on my Skyprodigy. These mounts are very similar. The built-in camera on the Skyprodigy mount takes another 250mA - important if on batteries.

I have found that, with the Synscan "Brightest Star" option, I can complete alignment a good 45 minutes earlier; before the sky is dark enough for the Starsense to "see" enough stars for its plate solving.

The Synscan system does require a bit of prior homework, knowing the best bright stars visible from your observing position. At the moment, Mars, Altair & Vega are easy to spot, and have reasonable separation for alignment.

Geoff

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi all,

With moving house and decorating etc I haven't done any star gazing, in a great location now though, so this starsense kit is still silly money so looking at other options ie synscan WiFi adapter to use the skywatcher app, anyone have any thoughts or experience with this as it's one hell of a lot cheaper and the app looks much more user friendly than the original synscan hand controller.

Certainly for planning and selecting targets and using goto, a tablet or phone is easier in my experience, but I'd never be without the hand controller. Having physical buttons to feel and press is much easier to use without taking your eye away from the eyepiece, especially when scanning around an area of sky. I can't handle pressing buttons on a screen without looking at it, and the relatively bright screen is bad if you're hunting for faint galaxies. Your experience might be different of course.