Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SkySafari Observation Lists and Checking them off

Jiggy 67

I have a number of observing lists running and I like to check objects off as I observe them. Some objects will appear in more than observation list, for example The Ring Nebula appears in the Messier List and also in a Planetary Nebula list I use....and it may also appear in others. I've noticed in SkySafari 6 Plus, when you "create an observation", it lists your current observation lists in which the object appears, the idea being to pick a list and therefore show it as "observed" in that list. The annoying thing is that I don't appear to be able to pick more than one list, so the Ring Nebula can be crossed off in the Messier list but not the Planetary Nebula list.

Do any SkySafari users know if there is a way of correcting this or if there is a quick and easy workaround??....I use SkySafari on Mac and iPhone btw

+1 for wanting an answer to this.

Sorry I can't help @Jiggy 67.  I agree it should be a list of Observation Lists rather than just one (a bit like you can select more than one eyepiece) but I don't think they designed it that way unfortunately.

p.s. as a SkySafari user do you have the same issue as me regarding the Start Time defaulted when an new observation is logged?  As per this thread:

Hi Globular, I read that post. I don’t have that particular problem, I create my obs the following day, not whilst observing.  What I do find is that I have to input the finish time of an observation before the start time, if I do the start time first it changes when I do the finish time.... I agree it is a bit glitchy

Absolutely, but overall I love using it. I create a plan for the night using a temporary observing list, allowing you to highlight the objects and organize them by set/rise times and then in the morning I create a session and then create observations from my handwritten notes made at the scope......works seamlessly for me.....except I wish I could tick objects off more than just one list!!.....annoying!!

I'm very similar - I love the ability to create observing lists based on type / mag / size / position in the sky / etc.  Being new to this game I'm not that knowledgeable of the sky and it's good to have some help on hand to suggest objects.  And it's great to pull up past observations on a object to remind me of previous experiences.  But, unlike you, I like to log observations straight into the app:  I click new observation as I start viewing, enter my comments as they come to me, the when finished I take 1 hour off the start time (because to the glitch I get), set the end time (by clicking "now" and taking an hour off that too, grrr), fill in the scope/EPs/seeing etc then done and on to the next object.  All very quick and easy.... and I'm not sure I'd have the patience to transpose hand written notes into it the morning after like you do.

9 minutes ago, globular said:

and I'm not sure I'd have the patience to transpose hand written notes into it the morning after like you do.

😀😀 I go even further, once I’ve spent an hour or two updating my obs, I then copy and paste everything on to a couple of spreadsheets I’ve got ongoing!!.......Don’t ask me why 😂

Edited by Jiggy 67
  • Haha 1

Haha, you must have retired young yes? 😉

It's good to have a backup I suppose.... I do worry that I'm relying on SkySafari not to lose or corrupt my data.

That said there is an EXPORT facility available at the sister website LiveSky.com.  I plan to do this from time to time as a back-up. 

Maybe you could use this to import into Excel rather than duplicate your typing and/or manual copy/paste? 🤔

• Like 1

I have used LiveSky for that, but I like to create my own......it’s all part of the hobby I haven’t quite retired just yet but what else is there to do except watch Coronation Street (if you’re in the UK you’ll know what I mean). Give it a go, you’ll enjoy creating and updating your own record of your own experiences, quite addictive 👍

• Like 1