Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How many....

Psychobilly

Registar has renewed my intrest in multi camera imaging so I decided it was time to ad another "OTA" to the "PHAT" CPC800 I had tried this before but decided that a few hours machining in the Workshop was the ideal cure for bad weather blues...

So I made a cute little set of 60mm guide rings and bar to take a 500mm telephoto lens fitted with a DSI Ic mounted off the 5" guide rings which hold the Megrez72... and at the same time put an additional mounting point for the Manfrotto B&S head so I know have 2 positions depending on what lens is fitted to the Piggyback DSLR...

I have a t mount x2 TC as well so can stretch the 500mm to 1000mm if needed...

Should have plenty of options with the setup now...

I Will take some pics later once I have cleared the fine brass and ally swarf from the passage, living room and bedroom carpets :) ...

Billy... in the dog house ...

11848_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

11849_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Hi,

Great setup...

I am considering investing i a SLR for my scope and wondered, as you have three, which you find to be best, have any tips/advice...I will also be using mne for convensional photography.

I have an LX90 10"...but the ADM type and have the camera attachment also...

THANKS for any advice you can give...

And again...got to say...GREAT SETUP...

STEVIER

I have 5 DSLR's...

the Canon 1000D is possibly the best value for money if your buying new and has really good noise performance if you want to spend a biut more then the 450D offers a few more features thought they aren't essential for astro use. 350D's can be picked up quite cheaply on Ebay.

Modifying the camera by removal or replacement of the filter in front of the sensor will greatly improve its Ha sensitivity.

Billy...

• 2 weeks later...

Nice set up and good idea Billy, you cant have too many :( Thats something Ive been toying with for my set up. I swap scopes for whatever Im imaging but my mount will take it so why not just put all the scopes on?

I know what you mean about the brass and ali treading in the house. It gets everywhere. I even found some in my office and thats 15 miles away from my home workshop :)

Now wrong with your solution either Steve :(

I was trying to keep the 3rd ota as close as possible to the two existing ones as last time the added offset was giving me viewing problems through the limited dome aperture.. this seem much better... and after adjustign the counter weight the mount seemed happy as well :)

They are even cuter with the philips screws replaced with some soft tipped ally knurled head adjustement screws which I knocked up last weekend... well after spending all day stripping and repairing a burnt out starter winding on the lathe motor... luckily it was the wire from the connection terminal to the winding that went ratehr than the windig itself... I know I should have sorted out the sticking centrifugal switch sooner...ah well should be good for another 30 years now...

The success of the trial has led me to going for an early mod to the 1000D ... hopefully the weekend after next if the Baader filter turns up :grin:

Billy

early mod to the 1000D ... hopefully the weekend after next if the Baader filter turns up :(

Billy

Where're you getting the filter from Billy? Im planning on doing the same but Dave Hinds is out of stock at the mo, I see TS have them on their web site I may try them to see if they have any.

Phil

Cheers Peeps...

I and I guess Celestron wouldn't recommend going this far with a CPC800 its a bit of a push it and see what happens on my part...the guiding was very good when i tried it and no strange noises from the mount...

I Don't know about nice...... its felxible in terms of what I can do with it... I haven't tried any piggy back imaging so most of the time its just the 2 dslr's and the guidecam that are used on it.. the offset for the widefield cam is too much for use in the dome at the moment as my vieport is way to narrow...thats on the list of things to do... but can wait till the warmer weather...

Billy...

Archived