NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Scary picture ..

Brian28

Thought you might like to see this ..

I have an Ikharus 10”RC .. once made by Ian King ..I love the scope ... but a few people have mentioned the fact that the focuser is attached to the mirror cell .. and with the weight of the focuser and  camera hanging off the back it’s quite easy to put it out of collimation .  I had a couple of options .. sell the scope and buy another with the decoupled mirror  , or modify mine .. ! 

I was especially nervous as the mirror is still in the cell as I didn’t want to disturb ..

all turned out well though .. modified a tilt adjuster I had for the focuser attachment , and I have been plying around to see if the new set up places the leader beam in the middle of the secondary..  and it seems pretty good .. 

so will disassemble and clean the mirror properly before final assembly..

will post some more pics later ..

BCBCD0F0-B40E-445D-8A47-E9FC2046F200.jpeg

Edited by Brian28
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

you are a brave man with all that swarf floating around I take it you protected the underside job well done.

No, I didn’t ..😉. no swarf would rest on the face so I left it uncovered ..,just very careful when removing from the machine ..

im going to wash the whole assembly down though ..and clean the mirror face before final assembly.. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brian28 said:

No, I didn’t ..😉. no swarf would rest on the face so I left it uncovered ..,just very careful when removing from the machine ..

im going to wash the whole assembly down though ..and clean the mirror face before final assembly.. 

a dry cut then no coolant. Still a brave man. well impressed