Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bit of advice regarding folders and DSS

Michael Keo

Hi everyone, 

I’m very new to all this astrophotography and astronomy in general and I have a few questions regarding DSS and workflow.

firstly I read that you can  add new stacking data  to already stacked pictures in DSS, is that right or do you have to restack the older data with the new?

The new data that you want to stack does it have to be the same ISO, exposure, f ratio  and same lens or can you add different bits?

Second question, how do you all go about sorting images as you are snapping away?

is there a way of sorting lights darks bias frames into folders on your SDcard, especially if your shooting multiple targets, doing test shots at different ISO’s and all that jazz.

Or do just simply jot it all down with a pen and paper?

thanks in advance 

michael

Hi

When I've got more data to add I do a new stack combining all the lights. But if they differ in exposure length I use a new group in DSS. I rarely have different ISOs. I don't mix different lens in the same stack.

I take all photos and once I copy them to the PC I expose the ISO, focal ratio and exposure to then review and sort to either keep or bin.

Edited by happy-kat

I don't bother jotting anything down. For my canon the camera creates a small file that I export off the SD card along with all the lights, darks bias etc. On the pc you can then right click on each one to see the details which will show if it's one of your lights, darks etc. As you will take all your lights together, then your darks etc.  They will all be grouped together anyway. Then I use Adobe bridge 'free down load' to go through each one. Adobe bridge is good as it shows all the details of each picture (iso, exp etc).

4 hours ago, Michael Keo said:

Thank you both for your replies, I’ll look get that adobe bridge as it will be handy

I find a good tool to use to quickly look through say 120 light frames looking for any not so good ones.

• Thanks 1

On 30/09/2020 at 17:44, Michael Keo said:

Second question, how do you all go about sorting images as you are snapping away?

is there a way of sorting lights darks bias frames into folders on your SDcard, especially if your shooting multiple targets, doing test shots at different ISO’s and all that jazz.

If you try APT (Astrophotography Tool), you can use a plan for darks, lights etc to automatically take exposures.  It will also name the files for you with the relevant prefix and other useful info like date and time. If you shoot mono with filters, it will also name each file with the filter number so you know which one you used.

It's definitely worth trying the free version. The paid version has more features and is reasonably priced.

You would need to plug your camera into a laptop though which is an issue if you don't have one kicking around. It's a real game changer though and will allow you to automate a lot of processes if your camera is supported.

• Thanks 1