SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Heq5 pro not slewing

Adidaz 29

I was doing my 2 star alignment tonight with my synscan every was fine 20 minutes later it would not slew so I manually put it to park scope tried again with the rate to slew nothing the handset working but it doesn’t come up now saying 1 or 2 star alignment . Then the handset when turned on no reponce very worried now any one can help please

Edited by Adidaz 29

Sound like a possible power issue.

How are you powering your mount?... if using a battery, check the voltage output from it under load (mount etc connected and switched on).

If it is less than 12v then you need to recharge the battery.

If you are using a mains driven DC power supply then check it's output voltage and also the connecting cable from supply to mount... note also: a DC power supply (or battery)should be capable of at least 5 amps continuous output at the DC voltage being used.

The handset gets it's power from the mount so any issue with the mount supply will effect the handset.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Lonestar70

Don't be in to much of a hurry to blame the motherboard... there are several other possibilities.

1, Does the small red indicator on the mount show a steady red when powered up?... if not then it could be a dodgy power lead or a bad connection on the input socket... see 3 below.

2, If the red light is on and steady, try using a straight through Ethernet cable (same as the one connecting your PC/laptop to your router) to connect the handset to the mount... if this allows the handset to power up then the curly cable is the problem...  a reasonably common problem for these handsets.

3, Failing the above, remove the small front cover where the mount power and handset input are located... this will expose a small PCB which is separate from the motherboard... check the solder connections for the handset input socket and the power socket... it is not unusual to find either or both of these developing dodgy joints over time... my own HEQ5 developed just such a fault after a couple of years and a quick touch up with the soldering iron sorted it.

4, You can check if the handset works by powering it via the socket on the lower end... this would normally be used to update the handset software.

Disconnect the handset from the mount... Hold down the 0 and 8 keys together then plug in the power connector... the handset should give a couple of bleeps and then display the current software loaded in the handset... if this works then the handset is probably OK and the problem lies with either the curly cable or maybe one of the above sockets on the small input board.

If none of the above resolve the problem then I would agree with your suspected motherboard failure.

Hope you can get it sorted.

Edited by Lonestar70

11 hours ago, fredvanner said:

If the SynScan handset is talking at all, you could try "utility function>show information>power voltage" to check your power. It needs to be about 12-14V.

What exactly does it say when it powers on? (This can sometimes be diagnostic).

It says version 4 .3  then  no reponce   R. A and azimuth  

8 hours ago, Lonestar70 said:

Don't be in to much of a hurry to blame the motherboard... there are several other possibilities.

1, Does the small red indicator on the mount show a steady red when powered up?... if not then it could be a dodgy power lead or a bad connection on the input socket... see 3 below.

2, If the red light is on and steady, try using a straight through Ethernet cable (same as the one connecting your PC/laptop to your router) to connect the handset to the mount... if this allows the handset to power up then the curly cable is the problem...  a reasonably common problem for these handsets.

3, Failing the above, remove the small front cover where the mount power and handset input are located... this will expose a small PCB which is separate from the motherboard... check the solder connections for the handset input socket and the power socket... it is not unusual to find either or both of these developing dodgy joints over time... my own HEQ5 developed just such a fault after a couple of years and a quick touch up with the soldering iron sorted it.

4, You can check if the handset works by powering it via the socket on the lower end... this would normally be used to update the handset software.

Disconnect the handset from the mount... Hold down the 0 and 8 keys together then plug in the power connector... the handset should give a couple of bleeps and then display the current software loaded in the handset... if this works then the handset is probably OK and the problem lies with either the curly cable or maybe one of the above sockets on the small input board.

If none of the above resolve the problem then I would agree with your suspected motherboard failure.

Hope you can get it sorted.

Thank I opened th top plate were the mother board is everything was in place but could smell a slight burning smell but there was no damage I could see

11 hours ago, fredvanner said:

If the SynScan handset is talking at all, you could try "utility function>show information>power voltage" to check your power. It needs to be about 12-14V.

What exactly does it say when it powers on? (This can sometimes be diagnostic).

Checked handset saying voltage 12.2§

1 hour ago, Adidaz 29 said:

Thank I opened th top plate were the mother board is everything was in place but could smell a slight burning smell but there was no damage I could see

I’ve tried another curly cable and still get get the same no reponce to r a and azimuth tried my WiFi dongle into the mount it would not conect

Could you borrow another SynScan, which could eliminate mount / cable problems (e.g. ask at your local astronomy club)? It sounds to me increasingly like a SynScan handset fault - I had a fault very similar to this a few months ago.