SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mounting all the hardware - advice needed

DainiusU

Hi!

I have been imaging since the lockdown using Stellarmate and Raspberry Pi and planning to add focus controllervand dew heaters. Now with RPi box it was pretty easy - taped it on velcro straight to ED100 body and done. But these two new boxes will require little more surface and I was thinking to use some plate screwed to the top of the scope rings. Funny enough I am struggling to find any run of the mill solution, and any advise, guidancecor example of setups is highly welcome. This is how my rig was looking this weekend...

8AD70526-CC55-4A21-A4A0-A9E44A4BA256.jpeg

9A6D5676-F217-4299-9954-1942D2222683.jpeg

19 hours ago, MarkAR said:

Instead of the two boxes you could get a Pegasus Powerbox, plug everything into that then the Pegasus into the Pi. Add the Pegasus into you Ekos Profile and you have full control.

Wow, how have I’ve missed this... Exactly what I need! Many thanks!

• Like 1

You could consider adding a stepper motor hat ( for example the waveshare aound £20)  which would drive a focuser without the need for another power connection and usb port - plus it can run the Pi from a 12v feed too.  Though that depends on what focus motor you are planning to add. 

The case for your Pi looks very project friendly, was it purchased or diy/3d printed?

2 hours ago, StevieDvd said:

You could consider adding a stepper motor hat ( for example the waveshare aound £20)  which would drive a focuser without the need for another power connection and usb port - plus it can run the Pi from a 12v feed too.  Though that depends on what focus motor you are planning to add. 

The case for your Pi looks very project friendly, was it purchased or diy/3d printed?

Well, this sounds very attractive... 12V power in and stepper motor control can potentially save quite some space. Do you know if waveshare hat got Ascom drivers? I can’t find anything looking like it in Ekos...

the box is off the shelf solution: https://www.anodas.lt/raspberry-pi-4b-dezute-diy-su-ventiliatoriumi-juoda

1 hour ago, DainiusU said:

Well, this sounds very attractive... 12V power in and stepper motor control can potentially save quite some space. Do you know if waveshare hat got Ascom drivers? I can’t find anything looking like it in Ekos...

the box is off the shelf solution: https://www.anodas.lt/raspberry-pi-4b-dezute-diy-su-ventiliatoriumi-juoda

There is a driver for Indilib see here  not looked at Ascom as it's a PI hat.

2 hours ago, StevieDvd said:

There is a driver for Indilib see here  not looked at Ascom as it's a PI hat.

Awesome. Placed waveshare hat order now, off to compile INDI drivers :) 

Thanks for the awesome tips! By the way, what would be recomendation for the mounting plate to put all these toys on? Any quality and cost effective options?

Perhaps:

A wooden or red perspex sheet that sits on the 2 tube rings using the upper screws.   Would be easy to drill/stick the Pi on to.

Or for proper style a Losmandy-type Universal Dovetail as a base plate something like this, other colours, makes & sellers available 🙂

• Like 1