SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Yet another eyepiece recommendation post ....

kev100

Hi all, I've been looking to replace my 16mm, 68 degree MaxVision with a similar power but wider FOV (82 degree) item for some time now, and wondered if anyone could recommend something that'll be suitable for a fast scope ... The catch, though, is the budget is around the 100 quid mark ...

Any thoughts?

Well, here is one:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/ovl-eyepieces/ovl-nirvana-es-uwa-82-ultrawide-eyepieces.html

Not sure how it performs in fast scope though, but it has the right specs - 82 degrees and 16mm FL.

A bit more expensive, but probably optically much better:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/explore-scientific-eyepieces/explore-scientific-82-degree-series-eyepieces.html

at 14mm - somewhat shorter FL.

I moved from the 16mm Nirvana / UWAN to the 16mm T5 Nagler and wondered why I did. Back then I was using a 10" F/4.8 dob.

Never used the ES 18 / 82 although I hear that it's one of the best of the ES 82's.

18 minutes ago, Pixies said:

What's the eye relief like on the 82deg ES? Any good for spectacle-wearers?

(asking for a friend)

Very strange. I don't think spectacle-wearers will be able to use this eyepiece with ease.

I sometimes feel there is enough eye relief but sometimes I do really put an effort to "get close inside". Probably has to do with scopes used - not every scope produces same eye relief.

Eye lens is recessed so it's definitively not stated ~15mm in real use. I have long eye lashes and since eye lens is rather large - I manage to hit it often and leave smudges.

Having said that, ES82 11mm is the best eyepiece I ever used in terms of sharpness and other features (except for above strange "comfort" of use).

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Pixies said:

What's the eye relief like on the 82deg ES? Any good for spectacle-wearers?

(asking for a friend)

No, the 14mm 82° has an eye relief of 15mm but the eye lens is recessed just enough it's more like 12mm.

No one with glasses can see the whole field.

There are very very few 82° eyepieces that are glasses-compatible.

• Thanks 1