Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help! old Skymax 127 wont fit on az4

Hey all,

I recently bought an az4 mount for a second hand skymax 127 I acquired some time ago. My skymax is the old blue one but it doesn't have a standard dovetail, it has a kind of plate that looks like an upside-down dovetail that is slightly too big to fit onto the az4. I'm not really sure how to go about mounting it. The plate on the Ota has a camera tripod thread so I tried attaching it to the L bracket that comes with the mount and I did manage to mount it, but it wasn't very stable. Would I be able to buy a new dovetail and screw it in to the OTA? 

Many thanks,

Thomas

Hi Thomas.

I think you attach a dovetail to the 'inverted' one. If "yes!" then I would get this type...
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetails-saddles-clamps/astro-essentials-dovetail-bars.html
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetails-saddles-clamps/astro-essentials-dovetail-bars.html#about_this_product

I also think the the purpose was originally designed for use with the SkyWatcher AZ3 mount, hence
the 'inverted' dovetail.

7 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The old Skymax didn’t have a proper dovetail but rather a mounting bar for photo type screw.

SW did sell a replacement dovetail bar. 

Micrglobe still lists it.

https://www.microglobe.co.uk/skywatcher-mounting-bar-for-skymax-127-ota-p-12559.html

Hi, thanks for you reply. Would this replacement fit the az4? 

3 minutes ago, Philip R said:

Get the one I recommend. Then you are able slide up or down to balance.

I use one with my ETX105 when the backplate is carrying a heavy load... i.e. 2" SCT star diagonal or 'Crayford' focuser.

Okay, and this screws onto the mounting plate that is already attached to my OTA?

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, vegaandarctures said:

Okay, and this screws onto the mounting plate that is already attached to my OTA?

Yes! ...the 'Astro Essentials' dovetail bar is flat so that would make it easier to slide along the OTA mounting plate. 

The 'SkyWatcher' dovetail bar will have the recess to accommodate the curvature of the OTA. You will need
to check the holes align and that there are no loose captive nuts, etc., in the OTA if you do replace the mounting
plate and fix permanently to the OTA.

Edited by Philip R

4 minutes ago, Philip R said:

Yes! ...the 'Astro Essentials' dovetail bar is flat so that would make it easier to slide along the OTA mounting plate. 

The 'SkyWatcher' dovetail bar will have the recess to accommodate the curvature of the OTA. You will need
to check the holes align and that there are no loose captive nuts, etc., in the OTA if you do replace the mounting
plate and fix permanently to the OTA.

Cool thank you for your help, also which size dovetail do you think would be best? 

• Thanks 1