Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Changing Finderscope

Stupid quesiton Im sure but I'm a litle confused.

Ive a Tal 100R refractor which has a 6x30 finder I believe.

Looking to change it to one of the SkyWatcher 9 x 50 Right Angles in order to make star hopping easier and more comfy.

Does the finder arm or mount just fit onto a 4" refractor or is there some adaptor or details that I need to be aware of?

Most of the major manufacturers use a standard mount ('Synta'). 

You can get plenty of brackets (sometimes called 'shoes') that can be attached to the OTA. One popular one is:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/baader-universal-quick-release-finder-shoe-base.html

Although there are plenty of other. you just need to find one that can be attached to your OTA with the minimum of drilling. I'm not familiar with the TAL scopes, apart from using a friend's a few years ago, so I'll await others for suggestions. How does your current finder attach?

Edited by Pixies

Many thanks for your reply, the TAL has the same set up as in the pic below, a screw on either side of the finder mount..

I have the level of hand to eye corrdiantion one would associate with a drunken mosquito so drilling itnto the OTA would be out of my league. Ill measue the exisitng fittings and see if the the above bracket would fit

spacer.png

17 minutes ago, Muc said:

I see there is also this Skywatcher shoe which seems to a lot less substantial

https://ktectelescopes.ie/Skywatcher-Finderscope-Shoe.html

The photo isn't so clear bit it looks like there are only holes in the base of the Skywatcher shoe. You can get other shoes that have slots that are more flexible. Another thing to think about is having a second screw on the base to ensure the finderscope is seated on axis and does not get tilted out of position.

Edit: John's post gives a good example. I actually have one on order for an SCT.

Edited by Peter_D