NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Iris Nebula with ASI533

PeterCPC

Lovely and clear last night. Got 25 300s subs on the Iris using my Esprit 100 and ASI533 Pro.

Processed in APP and a couple of small tweeks in Affinity Photo. First real target using this combination of equipment and quite pleased with the result.

Thanks for looking.

Peter

Iris_Nebula-RGB-session_1-2-St.jpg

• Like 12

7 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

Very nice result Peter.

I agree with @MarkAR about the hot pixels but what is odd is that the stars are nicely round but the hp's are elongated all in the same direction.

339840404_Screenshot2020-09-21at17_19_35.png.3c7cc8dc3b0b99c34fb2f11877eadf62.png

What might be causing that to happen?

Still a really nice image though.

Adrian

I do see some trailing on the smaller stars if I am honest.

I am scratching my head over this. I need to look into it a bit more I think. I did not dither this time. There must be an issue with the calibration subs I think. My guiding was extremely good on this.

Peter

Edited by PeterCPC

15 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

any ideas? APP users.

Hi Peter.

All very strange. I always use APP to calibrate, register and integrate and I've not noticed any issues at all.

I've just been scouring my latest image of the Heart & Soul in SHO for hot pixels and can't find any - my master dark seems to have worked very well.

I've also just had a detailed look at the master dark in PixInsight and can see no evidence of anything elongated.

Not very helpful I know but I will certainly be interested to know if APP is the culprit; I'm using version 1.082.

Adrian

Well I seem to have made progress together with another APP user (thanks xs4allan). For those who may find this useful:

For more than 20 lights  set the integration to average, then adaptive rejection with a Kappa low of 6.0 and high of 2.2, then enable a new BPM to be created.

Here is the new image. No hot pixels.

Peter

Iris_Nebula_revised.jpg