Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sun today Sept 21st

Peter Drew

Interesting solar activity today.  Main players are a detached prominence that is constantly changing shape and brightness and an intensely bright bulge not far from it.  The bulge is the exciting object, it is a new AR coming into view.  From previous experience, I'm optimistic that this could produce a spectacular outburst at any time as it's pulsating like a latent volcanic event, remember Mt St Helens?. Certainly one to keep an eye on.  Further round the disc there is a larger, faint, highly detailed prominence.      🙂

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I spotted the bulge during lunchtime here, but no detached prom. There is definitely something lurking around the corner

Yes, the detached prom dispersed and faded out of sight not long after I posted, it was very intense initially.     🙂

The new AR continues to entertain.  Every fifteen minutes or so it eject lumps of plasma about the size of Africa!, they seem to curve round and gradually get absorbed back into the surface.  Reminds me of the old "Lava" lamps.  The area is very much brighter than the general surface suggesting that it must be considerably hotter.  There seems to be fainter activity way further than the main action and still beyond the limb so hopefully the AR will turn out to be an extensive one.  The good seeing is enabling me to get the full advantage of the 150mm aperture.  🙂

• Like 2