Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What am I missing/not doing correctly?

Hi All,

I'm having a slight issue with getting an image using a recently purchased WO Z61 with Flat6. I normally use a DSLR and Lens but thought it was time to upgrade my kit hence the new scope. I spent a week getting used to the kit before I took it out for the first time last night..... didn't go too well.

Main issue is I am struggling to get any image on my DSLR live view and I feel like there is something really simple I am not doing. When I go back to my DSLR lens I get a screen full of stars which I can zoom in and adjust focus..... using the WO Z61 I can barely make anything out. When I do eventually find a bright star to focus on and take a test exposure I found I get what I am expected but still on live view the sky/stars is either dim or non existent.

I have checked all of the kit, believe I have the correct back focus etc etc so I am putting it out there for a bit of advice or help as I am out of ideas at this stage.

Should I expect the same view from my DSLR as I do when viewing through a lens compared to the WO Z61?

Kit:

• Canon 6D mk2
  • WO Z61
  • WO Flat 6
  • Star Adventure Pro
  • Canon 200mm f4
  • Samyang 135mm

Cheers All,

Dog

3 hours ago, Shimonu said:

Z61 is a fair bit slower

Mmm. At at over 6cm in diameter, my guess is that it would be quite a bit faster than the op's lenses;)

My money is on not being in focus. Don't know whether the FF is a reducer but in any case I think you're gonna need an extension tube to reach focus. Try in daytime on a distant target to get close. A nudge then on the focuser toward the tube should bring you to infinity under the stars. They snap into focus quite abruptly compared with a lens helicoid.

HTH

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Shimonu said:

At f/5.9 the WO Z61 is a fair bit slower than your lenses. So I think it's quite natural that the stars are dimmer when viewed through the Z61.

Stars are point sources. They don't follow the 'F ratio rule' even if you believe in 'the F ratio rule' - which I don't!  (I believe in area of aperture per area of pixel.)

Olly

• Like 1