Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Streaming live camera image from Astroberry

fireballxl5

Hi there,

I'm working on setting up an EEVA rig based on an Astroberry powered RPi with Made DSI camera. This is ultimately for the local astro society's public outreach events when allowed to do these again.

Currently I can remotely control the RPi using my Android tablet to see the live images from the camera using oaCapture over VNC.

What I'm looking to do now is live stream this image/window to the interweb from the RPi, tablet or a Windows laptop.

What's the best way to do this? Options I can think of include YouTube and FB, but are there better ways to do this, making the video feed accessable to society/public? In any case how would I do this through YouTube/FB? Maybe this is already baked into Astroberry and I am unaware of this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated 🙂

CS, Andy

I had no idea that oacapture worked with the Meade DSI.  That comes as a pleasant surprise :)

In the latest release, as well as capture types such as AVI, SER and so on, there is a "named pipe" option which writes frames in PPM format to (you guessed it) a named pipe.  I've not got as far as lining all the ducks up yet, but my thinking was that this could be set up in combination with ffmpeg reading from the named pipe to turn the data into something YT- or FB-friendly and uploading it directly from ffmpeg's output (which is something I have been led to believe is possible).

There may be a bit more helpful information here:  https://github.com/openastroproject/openastro/issues/364

Once my workload drops off at the end of the month I'm happy to see if we can get this working between us should you wish to do that.

James

• Like 1

I've looked into this, but not actually tried it...

Certainly for YouTube live streaming you cannot do a screen share to present or show an application. There are tools like BeLive and Restream  that let you screen share and direct the video to YouTube and Facebook live.

Also Vimeo has a livestream facility.

Some of these need to be a paid subscription to use.

Would be interested to hear about other solutions to this problem, and from anyone that has actually done it..

Callum

• Like 1