Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Second Newtonian option, which one?

TareqPhoto

Hi,

I am planning to get a second Newt for dual imaging in future, and i have two choices, one i can make it sooner and the other i can make it later, i can afford any soon anyway, but one will need me to spend again more to get a mount, and one Newt smaller i can't be sure which i am still into it these days, but the other two options are no way with current mount for both, so that i can delay for later but i have to think about it from now and see all possibilities and stores.

The options are the following:

1. Orion 8" F/4.9 Newtonian [cheap without much accessories]
  2. Any cheapest 10" F/4[F/3.9] so it will give me FL = 1000mm
  3. Second GSO F/4 next to my first [this i still think about now for very soon urgent dual imaging system, but i won't rush if it won't].

I will get budget soon which i will put part of it for planetary scope [already decided], and will make a part for this future plan, i can buy any above options in price range of $300-400, but i don't know if buying now and leave it stored just in case any price changes and discontinued as it happens a lot and also to check out about accessories by the time stored, i can always buy now and use later in 1 year, i have budgets now or soon that i can't tell at all when it will be gone and i no longer can afford anything later or say i will need very long time to save again, so i better finish my plans very quick, i don't mind to buy now and not using it, i tested my 2 current Newt scopes i have and both are fine with one test each, so i am confident to buy more, galaxies will be back later, and clusters are also all around, i don't want to wait until next year to ask about it and i don't have time to decide and buy, so i will make it now.

With 8" and 10" scopes i will have to buy another mount, and next year i have two options also, either a strong expensive one so i can place two larger scopes two 8" or 8" and 10", or small cheaper affordable one but enough to handle either 10" or 8" at least cheaper than my AZ-EQ6, but in both cases the purchase of second scope is fixed, so i like to discuss it in advance to see what i can do sooner or later.

Thank you.

I have just bought a TS/GSO F4 10" to go with my 8" F4 and they are really good value, the tube needs a few mods like a better focuser and  a Losmandy bar fitted, but optics are very good. and a good mount to carry them, just my opinion and other folks will have another view on them. Ton

23 minutes ago, ebdons said:

I have just bought a TS/GSO F4 10" to go with my 8" F4 and they are really good value, the tube needs a few mods like a better focuser and  a Losmandy bar fitted, but optics are very good. and a good mount to carry them, just my opinion and other folks will have another view on them. Ton

I don't have 8" F4 but i have 8" F5, so either another 8" F5 or 10" F4 will match nicely as both will give 1000mm FL, but if i go with either 8" or 10" then i must buy another mount, i have only one AZ-EQ6, that can't hold two 8" or one 8" and one 10", but i have to decide if i should choose 8" F/5 or 10" F4 anyway, and all other things such as focuser finder dovetail i can easily change and i already have dovetails or bars to use.

23 hours ago, TareqPhoto said:

Hi,

I am planning to get a second Newt for dual imaging in future, and i have two choices, one i can make it sooner and the other i can make it later, i can afford any soon anyway, but one will need me to spend again more to get a mount, and one Newt smaller i can't be sure which i am still into it these days, but the other two options are no way with current mount for both, so that i can delay for later but i have to think about it from now and see all possibilities and stores.

The options are the following:

1. Orion 8" F/4.9 Newtonian [cheap without much accessories]
  2. Any cheapest 10" F/4[F/3.9] so it will give me FL = 1000mm
  3. Second GSO F/4 next to my first [this i still think about now for very soon urgent dual imaging system, but i won't rush if it won't].

I will get budget soon which i will put part of it for planetary scope [already decided], and will make a part for this future plan, i can buy any above options in price range of $300-400, but i don't know if buying now and leave it stored just in case any price changes and discontinued as it happens a lot and also to check out about accessories by the time stored, i can always buy now and use later in 1 year, i have budgets now or soon that i can't tell at all when it will be gone and i no longer can afford anything later or say i will need very long time to save again, so i better finish my plans very quick, i don't mind to buy now and not using it, i tested my 2 current Newt scopes i have and both are fine with one test each, so i am confident to buy more, galaxies will be back later, and clusters are also all around, i don't want to wait until next year to ask about it and i don't have time to decide and buy, so i will make it now.

With 8" and 10" scopes i will have to buy another mount, and next year i have two options also, either a strong expensive one so i can place two larger scopes two 8" or 8" and 10", or small cheaper affordable one but enough to handle either 10" or 8" at least cheaper than my AZ-EQ6, but in both cases the purchase of second scope is fixed, so i like to discuss it in advance to see what i can do sooner or later.

Thank you.

Hello TareqPhoto,

I bought an Orion 8 F/3.9 two weeks ago, and it had it's first ligth on 17-09-2020. I took a shot of M13 and processed it with siril; as a complete astrophotography beginner, I'm quite pleased with the result. It has a good focuser

The only thing I'm struggling with is the secondary mirror collimation, but I guess as you're an experienced newtonian user that would not be a problem for you.

Kind regards,

AstroRookie

2 hours ago, AstroRookie said:

Hello TareqPhoto,

I bought an Orion 8 F/3.9 two weeks ago, and it had it's first ligth on 17-09-2020. I took a shot of M13 and processed it with siril; as a complete astrophotography beginner, I'm quite pleased with the result. It has a good focuser

The only thing I'm struggling with is the secondary mirror collimation, but I guess as you're an experienced newtonian user that would not be a problem for you.

Kind regards,

AstroRookie

Hello AstroRookie,

Thank you very much for your answer.

As much i like F/4, i just don't want to buy any different scope than what i have, i am trying to do dual imaging system, and the best way i can do that is the match two scopes exactly together, some will say you can use two different scopes, if that so then i can use my 6" with 8" then, but both are different, so i want to use two same scopes with two mono cameras i have which are the same in specifications [QHY163M and ASI1600MM-C], i don't know why people keep pushing me away from dual imaging system and even for that they never try to suggest me any two same exact scopes of any type/size.

I have no problem with collimation, maybe with f/4 a bit but not a big deal, and later i will buy a high end collimator then i will never worry or look back.

Regards,

TareqPhoto