NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sky-Watcher AZ GTI tracking noises

nakiazaki

Anyone experienced ticking noise from inside the mount when star tracking? I suspected it is because of too much payload: I use my mount with a 4 kg scope and accessories, but it's not because the setup's weight. Even if there is no payload on it, the mount is ticking sometimes. It's not something new, I have this equipment since March 2018 and there was a few occurance also, but now this behaviour became almost constant. Maybe the "famous" Chinese grease is the reason? Any other idea maybe? Should I regrease it? If yes, which part exactly? I opened the mount and noticed only horizontal tracking movement is noisy, altitude is okay. Kinda annoying...

Edited by nakiazaki

• 6 months later...
On 20/02/2020 at 16:35, nakiazaki said:

Anyone experienced ticking noise from inside the mount when star tracking? I suspected it is because of too much payload: I use my mount with a 4 kg scope and accessories, but it's not because the setup's weight. Even if there is no payload on it, the mount is ticking sometimes. It's not something new, I have this equipment since March 2018 and there was a few occurance also, but now this behaviour became almost constant. Maybe the "famous" Chinese grease is the reason? Any other idea maybe? Should I regrease it? If yes, which part exactly? I opened the mount and noticed only horizontal tracking movement is noisy, altitude is okay. Kinda annoying...

I have had three AZGTI mounts. The first over time developed the tapping (and vibration) while tracking, so it was sent back. The replacement had the binding azimuth issue & started tapping...

The third has out of the box, the tapping & vibration while tracking. Rather than be sent a fourth, I've been offered a refund.

Has anyone had this problem and fixed it? I really want to like this mount. The concept at least is perfect for my needs and when it works it's great, but the thought it may break out of warranty due to the excessive vibration through the clamp, which one can feel being transfered through telescope tube, just makes me want to give up and look for another (more expensive probably) solution.

16 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

I have had three AZGTI mounts. The first over time developed the tapping (and vibration) while tracking, so it was sent back. The replacement had the binding azimuth issue & started tapping...

The third has out of the box, the tapping & vibration while tracking. Rather than be sent a fourth, I've been offered a refund.

Has anyone had this problem and fixed it? I really want to like this mount. The concept at least is perfect for my needs and when it works it's great, but the thought it may break out of warranty due to the excessive vibration through the clamp, which one can feel being transfered through telescope tube, just makes me want to give up and look for another (more expensive probably) solution.

This is the solution for this problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoAF6tYcby8 I have finetuned mine and it tracks smoother than before. SkyWatcher should have done it better, anyway.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, nakiazaki said:

This is the solution for this problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoAF6tYcby8 I have finetuned mine and it tracks smoother than before. SkyWatcher should have done it better, anyway.

Thanks for the link. My last one had the RA axis binding issue, but instead of voiding the warranty, I sent it back and the replacement is smooth.

However, the three occasions I got out with the current replacement mount and a Skymax 102, what seems to be the declination tapping accompanied by vibration was apparent.

Last night I went out and tried the Star Discovery 150p ota, not one tap & no vibration! I tested the tracking using Altair and after 45 minutes, the star was still in the central third of the fov. More than adequate performance but a confusing result.

I guess before giving up, it may be worth a look inside, even just regreasing the cog may get rid of the tapping.

Just sent mine in for the same problem. 

Tacking and vibration in Azimuth movement. 

Started after using it like 3 times (second hand one under warranty)

It's on one it's way back to me so curious to see if the problem is gone. 

Edited by NVDW

1 hour ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

I guess before giving up, it may be worth a look inside, even just regreasing the cog may get rid of the tapping.

A simple regreasing won't solve this issue. Been there, done that, no solution, really. The problem is with the metal plate at the bearing. You can loosen the connection between them, it can help a lot, but a plastic plate is much better. I made a less tough squeezing without replacing the original metal plate and it is much better now. I have a 4.5 kg 102/714 refractor which is on the upper end both in weight and length, so is very sensitive to unsmooth tracking. After loosening AZ axis at the bearing, the whole stuff became less shaky, almost perfect. So I can just recommend this small hack with the mount. Good luck for that!