Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What a night

jetstream

After a slowdown in observing I've had some great nights observing the Milky Way from a lawnchair- last night it was extremely bright revealing very jagged, sharp structure. I think I'm getting better at this as more and more is seen. It stretched from horizon to horizon and was reflecting off my cars windshield and paint.

I just had to get the 15" out, a favorite scope.

No new or dramatic targets but dramatic views  were had! Pickerings Wisp allowed me to see a feature that the 24" reveals with structure. Not much structure with the 15" but it was seen- follow the Wisp tail a bit and look for a hollow offset "bubble" in the tail line. It is not small and the 24" has fine twisted filamentary structure in it. The 15" did a great job tonight on this, kudos to it! What a scope.

The rest of the Veil was stunning and I revisited some very faint features and yes they are still there!

Spurred on by @Nyctimene and @Littleguy80 reports I dove in into the IC 1318 area, its massive just massive. The Butterfly always shows new features- this area is a must observe. So onto the Crescent- the short slightly curved line visible with no filter was visible no filter and with the OIII the center filled up with very fine filaments. So, a nudge over to see if  LBN 208 is still residing in the area and yes its still there.  The thing is there are so many hints of faint nebula in the area that this also is a must observe spot.

The finale had me back in the lawnchair again staring in amazement, what a gift.

Edited by jetstream
  • Like 11

Sounds like very good conditions there, especially if you were able to follow the wisp down from my novice perspective. Hazy views with the 20" here last night, getting readings of 21.3 instead of 21.8 or 9 on a stunning night. I'm set up again, forecast clear with a potential for repeat of high haze, humidity in the 90+ range. He who dares, wins! 

I think when we suffer poor weather here we live vicariously through your observations. No pressure! Haha. Might be a boatload of disgruntled astronomers emigrating soon to the land of lakes and big skies :)

Edited by Ships and Stars
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ships and Stars said:

to the land of lakes and big skies

and snow lol!

When we were in the Barbados years ago a local guy who had been up here coined "your from the land of ice and snow!"

Robert the Wisp's "faint thread" is easily seen in my 200mm dob, but transparency is key. I would take a very transparent 21.3 sky over a less transparent higher SQM. UK observers who unfortunately observe through lower transparency skies are probably among the best anywhere under clear dark ones. Keep up the good work!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jetstream said:

and snow lol!

When we were in the Barbados years ago a local guy who had been up here coined "your from the land of ice and snow!"

Robert the Wisp's "faint thread" is easily seen in my 200mm dob, but transparency is key. I would take a very transparent 21.3 sky over a less transparent higher SQM. UK observers who unfortunately observe through lower transparency skies are probably among the best anywhere under clear dark ones. Keep up the good work!

I'm trying here! Along with everyone else. The weather today in NE Scotland was superb, hardly a cloud. Looks set to continue. I need to be away early tomorrow morning, so might stick to binoculars tonight and do a grand tour. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jetstream said:

Can you see that detached patch between Pickerings Wisp and the tip of the Western Veil? this is a good start IMHO. Labelled "E"

https://cdn.swisscows.ch//http://astronomy-mall.com/Adventures.In.Deep.Space/Veil.jpg

No joy last night! High haze moved in again. The daytime was brilliant though. Still a good evening but not much in the way of astro! I'll keep an eye out for E though.

Sounds fantastic, the lawn chair makes so much sense, had actually managed to get out last night, trying to orientate looking up, leaning against the car was a bit ridiculous. A reclining chair would have been perfect, best of all, I don't think I got a single midge bite, was half expecting, sat on my observer's chair, to be eaten alive being on the edge of a forest. Informative analysis, last night my focus of attention was on North America and Gamma Cygni nebulae and will create a topic for further debate.