Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cave Nebula - RGB

Kinch

Because this is an RGB image, I am afraid, no matter what, it will never be one of my favourites. But some might like it....(though in truth the processing could be improved on with more effort).

1½ hours each - RGB = 4½ hours with FSQ130ED , Astrodon RGB filters and FLI ML16200 camera. (This is a crop from the full image I hope to complete in NB).

LRGB_Crop (1350 x 900).jpg

• Like 14

Thanks for the comment....it is odd how images lie with each of us differently. I still stand by  what I said...it will never be one of my favourites and I am 100% sure that some NB images that will tick all the boxes for me will by be utter rubbish in the eyes of other imagers. I guess it is what we grew up with and what we are used to. Imaging for the most part, in a light polluted area, NB was always the way to go for me and now, when it comes to processing BB data, I feel that I am lacking in the necessary skills......because what I see is not pleasing to my eyes.

After all that - so happy that you like this one. I would not have put it except that when I went to look at what else is out there...well OK, it is not the worst. Like I said about a previous image of mine....I reckon I can get away with this  🤣

• Like 1

For only 4.5hrs and no lum  i think this turned out great. Why not keep going?

I'm a broadband nut but i also like a good narrowband image. Broadband is so much more difficult especially from poorer skies, but i like to think if i could see these nebulae with my own eyes then that's how they'd look.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

Broadband is so much more difficult especially from poorer skies

You can say that again. "Broadband is so much more difficult especially from poorer skies".....there, I just said it for you 😉

In general the sky here is not good enough for me doing BB - unless shooting very high......and after midnight when some close neighbours put their outside lights off. This target could fall into that category...when these clouds lift. 🙄

As it is, 1½ hours each RGB is a lot for me....I generally just gather RGB for star colour if needed to help a NB image. This time, I just went that little further because the moon had not apppeared and in truth, at the time, I was not thinking of doing an RGB image. Maybe if I do get a chance (while still aiming for a NB image in the end)...I might go for some Lum data to see if it will help detail on the above.......................now that you have put the idea in my mind.

Tonight - before the clouds appeared, I was able to get 1½ hours of Lum data. This image is now LRGB = total 6 hours.

On the 1st image above, I had combined the RGB data into a Lum to add in. (I work in PixInsight). So it was in fact an LRGB image with just 1½ hours each of RGB. This one goes that next little step:  1½ hours each of LRGB. There is a slight improvement but to my mind not a whole lot.....and in truth, that may just be that I took more care in the processing. I am still in two minds, whether or not, if gathering RGB @ 1x1, whether or not it is actually worth spending the time to get Lum data!

Final Cave Nebula (1350 x 875).jpg

• Like 3

Yes- it is difficult indeed. Perhaps (and just perhaps) I see a slight difference here on a high resolution monitor - but then again, it may be just the processing steps that caused the difference.

Bottom line for me.....I don't think it is worth spending the time gathering Lum data if you gather your RGB un-binned. (I don't do much broadband imaging - so I am no expert -  but there is nothing here to show me to do things differently than I have previously with RGB images).