Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First look at Lunin

This was a little while ago but haven't had a chance to post lately...

Great to see the posts on Lunin. Have been looking forward to this comet for a while and wanted to make an observation as early as possible at the start of what promises to be an exciting show.

Thanks to a bit of insomnia I was awake before dawn on the 2nd Jan and finding it clear thought I would give it a go despite not having an accurate chart to hand. It was a an uncertain time, waiting for it rise enough for an observation versus the impending approach of dawn, but I swept it up just before 6am in my 8" at x48 in Libra close to the Scorpius border. Very faint at first look but the improved contrast at x80 helped and it continued to improve until dawn started to wash it out. It was quite diffuse with very little condensation visible. Quite pleased as it only got to about 8deg altitude.

Enough time for a quick sketch (x48 1deg circle), nothing spectatular but a nice memento - note the lack of field stars visible!

Lunin02012009.jpg

Clear skies,

Phil.

I tried with my 15 x 70 binocs and found the spot on the chart but no comet yet, will try again. Found coment 144P in Taurus tonight in location as per heavans above web site. Very faint hazy patch but definite in a 6 inch scope....

Archived