Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Digital setting circles for dob push to

PaulM

Come across DSCs which is all new to me and like the idea of making my dob into a push to setup.

Would the below kit work by simply replacing the central bolt on the base with the rotary encoder? How would you callibrate/set this up?

https://www.machine-dro.co.uk/rotary-angle-encoder-and-remote-display-with-a-6mm-diameter-shaft?gclid=CjwKCAjw19z6BRAYEiwAmo64LQlumIGDtwl32k0DVmJwc2YQxALQBZlShHuRTlEFg2JPBZGeJ0WeXhoCydEQAvD_BwE

Any suggestions on how to deal with measuring the altitude of the dob?

thanks in advance for any replies / advice

• Like 1

Yeah a wixey is the usual tool for measuring the altitude, Ideal for steel tubed dobs with their magnetic base. Calibrated to zero by placing tube horizontal using a sprit level, though some errors can occur if optical axis isn't exactly parallel with the tube axis (ie. scope not accurately collimated)

You could calibrate the azimuth readout by viewing an object with reticle eyepiece at the precise moment it crosses the northern meridian? Time predicted by skysafafri or similar?

• Thanks 1

On 09/09/2020 at 07:17, CraigT82 said:

Yeah a wixey is the usual tool for measuring the altitude, Ideal for steel tubed dobs with their magnetic base. Calibrated to zero by placing tube horizontal using a sprit level, though some errors can occur if optical axis isn't exactly parallel with the tube axis (ie. scope not accurately collimated)

You could calibrate the azimuth readout by viewing an object with reticle eyepiece at the precise moment it crosses the northern meridian? Time predicted by skysafafri or similar?

I have posted this a few times. But for anyone else that is interested this is how I set up the inclinometer and encoder to give me a push to Dobsonian. It details how to accurately set up both digital gauges.

• Like 3