NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tripod extender

Davey-T

Remembered to take pictures for once.

Tripod  extender for the Rainbow RST-135 mount to stop scope hitting tripod legs, couldn't decide how long to make it so used all the tube I bought after squaring the ends, can always shorten it but hard to lengthen it 😂

Made base with milling bit in pillar drill as it didn't need to be very accurate and quicker than CNC machine, didn't need to be that thick but used a bit 0f 20mm that was lying around.

1.png.5c2edb8d134c238bfd6b2ff667166438.png

Other bits CNCd

2.png.17cad2e9cbfe96ea195e7d70941a67bf.png

Inner base screwed to base plate

3.png.48ed65e210f6284db225a855c441d319.png

Tube attached

4.png.77f77af6c05fd3a244bac527e2a59085.png

Top plate positioned

5.png.ad44cd336d1dbd715cb5101c3bd4b3f2.png

Jig to drill tube

6.png.559a72baaa52096be6c384a29da5a883.png

Mount mounted

8.png.841babbf97c6e6777320e156ecb2b107.png

7.png.e40736c15d5dbebb58375e92fd95100a.png

Edited by Davey-T
  • Like 5

Put the Sharpstar 150HNT on it which is what I bought the Rainbow mount for, made a video of it slewing around, it plays on Windows as MOV file with sound but when converted to AVI the sound disappears.

Dave

Default parked position is scope horizontal and pointing west

Rainbow-RST-135_Sharpstar.thumb.png.1953c97517aa062f20f9fe5b9ab86c9e.png

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

OK I’m interested in this mount myself. A bit pricey but it has its advantages I think. 

The main advantage with the setup I have on it is the fact that it doesn't need any counterweights, I had it on the iEQ45 and it was impossible to balance properly, had to mount guide scope on a dual bar to try and balance it but not very successfully.

It's also very light and portable.

There are as usual a few negative reports from folk but thought I'd give it a try.

Dave

@Davey-T I thought the point was that  it didn’t need to be balanced. However, I can believe it’s probably best on a sturdy tripod/pier. What you’ve built there looks the business.   I’m not convinced that putting it on a photographic tripod is adequate, which is how it’s often marketed.  I’m looking at putting it on my AZ-EQ6 tripod if I decide to go with one that is. 

1 hour ago, Ouroboros said:

@Davey-T I thought the point was that  it didn’t need to be balanced. However, I can believe it’s probably best on a sturdy tripod/pier. What you’ve built there looks the business.   I’m not convinced that putting it on a photographic tripod is adequate, which is how it’s often marketed.  I’m looking at putting it on my AZ-EQ6 tripod if I decide to go with one that is. 

Ii only needs counterweights if used in Alt Az mode with heavy scope to stop the tripod tipping over.

It only comes with camera tripod fixing which I wouldn't trust.

Dave

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

Nice!  So ... minus scope how much do you reckon the whole thing weighs?  Can you pick it up to carry it outside without busting a gasket? 

Easily, haven't weighed it but will do, it's outside under a cover in the rain ATM

May shorten it at some point but want try WO110FLT on it first.

Dave