NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ovl hyperflex eye relief

Charlie 2436

Hi All

I am looking into getting the ovl hyperflex zoom as I have read such good things about it. My problem is eye relief the 7.2-21.5mm has 15mm of eye relief, I wear glasses and was wondering if it was ok for glasses users or would I be better going for the 9-27mm version which has 18mm of eye relief. 
Thanks Robert 

2 hours ago, Charlie 2436 said:

Hi All

I am looking into getting the ovl hyperflex zoom as I have read such good things about it. My problem is eye relief the 7.2-21.5mm has 15mm of eye relief, I wear glasses and was wondering if it was ok for glasses users or would I be better going for the 9-27mm version which has 18mm of eye relief. 
Thanks Robert 

I have the Surplus Shed version, and I've measured the usable eye relief to be between 9mm and 11mm.  It is not really usable at all with eyeglasses unless you have a tracking mount to keep small objects centered.  However, if you Barlow it, the exit pupil may become small enough that you won't need eyeglasses to correct your eye's astigmatism.  The eye lens is very small (16mm diameter on mine) and recessed, so don't expect big eye relief.

I like the Celestron (Olivon) Regal zoom which I've measured to have 13mm to 16mm of usable eye relief, although it certainly feels longer than that in use, especially with the eye cup screwed all the way off.  The only problem is locating these zooms.  They are generally only sold with spotting scopes.  It does not have filter threads, so there is that.

Thanks for the advice Michael. I guess I would be better going for the 9-27mm version, although the 7.2-21.5mm Would have suited me better.

While on the subject of eye relief does anyone know of any 82 degree eyepieces with good eye relief that don’t cost a small fortune.

1 hour ago, Charlie 2436 said:

Thanks for the advice Michael. I guess I would be better going for the 9-27mm version, although the 7.2-21.5mm Would have suited me better.

While on the subject of eye relief does anyone know of any 82 degree eyepieces with good eye relief that don’t cost a small fortune.

The only 82 degree eyepieces that I've found I can use comfortably with eyeglasses are the 22mm Nagler T4 and the original 30mm ES-82 with the mushroom top.  It was identical to the 30mm Meade 5000 UWA and 31mm Celestron Axiom LX if you can find them used.  Alternatively, the Morpheus have 78 degree measured AFOVs, so very close to 82/84 degrees.  Many of the affordable "82 degree" eyepieces are actually 78 to 81 degrees once measured, so take marketing claims with a grain of salt.

The ES-92 line is very comfortable with eyeglasses, but big and expensive.

The Orion LHD line of eyepieces claim 80 degrees AFoV and 20mm of eye relief but I've never used or even seen one:

https://uk.telescope.com/Orion-LHD-80-Degree-Lanthanum-Ultra-Wide-1252-Eyepieces/e/274.uts

APM's 84 degree eyepieces state long eye relief:

http://astrograph.net/APM-125mm-HI-FW-84-Degree-AFOV-Eyepiece

Again, I've not used one myself so I can't confirm one way or another.

From 25585's reports on CN, the Orion LHD line sounds pretty similar to the Nagler T4 line in that both lines have 30mm eye lenses, some minor SAEP, and a need to push in tight with eyeglasses to see the entire field.

I had forgot about the APM 84.  I'd be tempted to get one if I wasn't so pleased with the 12mm ES-92.

The Meade MWA line is actually more of an 82 to 84 degree line with prominent SAEP, so they're also an option in some of the focal lengths having longer eye relief.

I’ve had a quick look at those sites John. The APM 12.5 Hi Fw looks good it would give me 72x mag , the Orion 9mm Lhd looks good as well and it would give me 100x mag. The APM 20mm xwa 100 degree would be a nice size to have I THINK but it only has 15mm eye relief, would it work with glasses ? All a bit more than I was looking to pay but still a lot cheaper than Naglers.

23 minutes ago, Charlie 2436 said:

I’ve had a quick look at those sites John. The APM 12.5 Hi Fw looks good it would give me 72x mag , the Orion 9mm Lhd looks good as well and it would give me 100x mag. The APM 20mm xwa 100 degree would be a nice size to have I THINK but it only has 15mm eye relief, would it work with glasses ? All a bit more than I was looking to pay but still a lot cheaper than Naglers.

I think all the 100 degree eyepieces have eye relief of around 15mm. Sometimes the usable eye relief is less due to a recessed eye lens or protruding eye cup design. Generally I'm not sure that 100 degree eyepieces are that suitable for those who wear glasses when observing in all honesty.

The Morpheus are probably your best bet. I believe they actually give you slightly more than 76 degrees in practice.

Thanks for that John , I agree I would probably be better sticking to the Morpheus . If you don’t mind John what range of eyepieces sizes would you say would suit a 6” f5.9 achro refractor.

I'd want something like a 40mm 2 inch for maximum field of view, a couple of mid range focal lengths - say 18mm and 10mm and a couple of higher magnification eyepieces, say 7mm and 5mm.

Thanks again John. Any recommendations on the 40mm, I was thinking maybe the 40mm ES 62 series or the OVL 38mm panaview or 40mm Aero ED.

I have the Aero ED 40mm and it is very good. Even in my F/5.3 12 inch dobsonian (not a scope which I use a 40mm often with) the Aero ED 40 shows good correction across most of the field of view.

One problem, the 40mm Aero ED has been sold out worldwide for several years now.  There's been no sign of new production.  The 35mm Aero ED is nearly as wide, TFOV-wise, and wider AFOV-wise.  Correction isn't quite as good, but it's not bad compared to some other offerings in this price range.  Eye relief is a bit tight on it because the eye lens is recessed 7mm for no apparent reason.  It is nice and light, so it won't throw off your scope's balance.

The 40mm ES-62 is basically the same as the 40mm Meade 5000 Plossl.  It's great in the inner 50%, and then gets worse toward the edge.  However, it lacks much distortion, so the moon stays nice and round as it moves across the field.  Eye relief was great on the Meade and will probably be very good on the ES-62 as well.

Here's a comparison image of a bunch of my widest field eyepieces taken through a field flattened 72ED refractor:

1633940429_32mm-42mm.thumb.JPG.bef44bf60fe3e68cfbac5e7ed8712d66.JPG2142447751_32mm-42mmAFOV.thumb.jpg.dead789621328694a186dcce97a21653.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 04/09/2020 at 14:54, Charlie 2436 said:

Hi @Charlie 2436

Did you get the 9-27mm zoom?  How do you find it?

I have the 7-21mm version and it's 15mm eye relief is not enough for comfortable use with glasses.  I, like you back then, was wondering if the reported 18mm on the 9-27 make it glasses friendly?

Hi globular

sorry. I can’t help you with the 9-27mm ,as I went for the 7-24mm version and like you say I find the eye relief very tight and because I never really got on with it I just gave up on zoom lenses. Although I was tempted by the good reports on the badder zoom but the stated eye relief isn’t any better 12-15mm I think, maybe someone else have the 9-27mm and let us know what it’s like.

cheers Robert 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Charlie 2436 said:

Hi globular

sorry. I can’t help you with the 9-27mm ,as I went for the 7-24mm version and like you say I find the eye relief very tight and because I never really got on with it I just gave up on zoom lenses. Although I was tempted by the good reports on the badder zoom but the stated eye relief isn’t any better 12-15mm I think, maybe someone else have the 9-27mm and let us know what it’s like.

cheers Robert 

The new APM SuperZoom is supposed to be easily usable with eyeglasses.  If they're back in stock for Christmas Eve delivery, I'll be asking Santa for one.

20 minutes ago, Louis D said:

The new APM SuperZoom is supposed to be easily usable with eyeglasses.  If they're back in stock for Christmas Eve delivery, I'll be asking Santa for one.

I agree it looks a lovely zoom for glasses wearers.  I'm a bit surprised at the price point though.  I guess with the hyped demand and limited supply it was inevitable. 

Edited by globular

I have the Hyperflex 7.2 - 25.1mm and I find the eye relief quite tight, even though I don't wear glasses for observing (I've always disliked EPs with tight ER as I tend to 'hover' my eye rather than push into the eyecap). My other problem with it is its FOV. Just tonight, I was observing Jupiter with it (I often use it first to work out what f/l is best). The narrow FOV meant I was constantly nudging the scope, even when the OVL wasn't at minimum f/l. Optically, I think it's very good for the price but my issues with mean it sees little use.

14 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

My other problem with it is its FOV

Agreed.  I've measured my Hyperflex 7.2-21.5 as 38.3° @ 21.5mm and 56.5° @ 7.2mm.... as opposed to the claimed 40°-60°.

I haven't measured the eye relief.... but the claimed 15mm might be a but optimistic too.

Not bad views though generally.  I've kept mine for the same use as you.... to test the water before moving to better and wider fixed fl EPs.

I'm looking again at zooms as I have a new pair of binoviewers....  but I'm not sure I'm going to succeed in my hunt and will instead end up with some cheapish fixed EP pairs....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, globular said:

Agreed.  I've measured my Hyperflex 7.2-21.5 as 38.3° @ 21.5mm and 56.5° @ 7.2mm.... as opposed to the claimed 40°-60°.

I haven't measured the eye relief.... but the claimed 15mm might be a but optimistic too.

Not bad views though generally.  I've kept mine for the same use as you.... to test the water before moving to better and wider fixed fl EPs.

I'm looking again at zooms as I have a new pair of binoviewers....  but I'm not sure I'm going to succeed in my hunt and will instead end up with some cheapish fixed EP pairs....

How about a pair of Vixen SLVs? They're very clear, sharp EPs for the price and their relatively narrow FOV will be less of a problem in binos.

• Like 1