NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My next telescope

3 hours ago, gtfreight said:

This is a hobby my wife and I are looking at doing together and I'm not sure how keen she'll be outdoors in the winter months. 

The model with the wifi built in was also mentioned which is now worth considering.

If you are not sure you/wife will be keen to be outdoors, you will soon realise that this is getting into the expensive territory 🙂 You need a GO-TO mount, camera and PC as the minimum starting point. If you have a location to place your scope close to your house (eg. in your patio area), you might be able to run the cables from your home. And if its too far then you would need battery etc.

Wifi can be flaky depending on the position of the scope, so would be a secondary consideration.

You will still need to go outdoors to initially setup the scope and align it - and at the end of the session bring it back in! Unless you can build an observatory in your backyard ;)

Edited by AstroMuni

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/09/2020 at 18:50, Gfamily said:

Another feature that I'm going to explore is that the SynScan app can be used with the telescope control built into the Pro or Plus versions of Sky Safari 6. This is easier done on Android I'm told,  so long as battery optimisation is switched off for the Synscan app.  On iPhones, you need to have two devices, one to have the Synscan running, and the other to have the Sky Safari running. I've not tried it myself, but the weather is looking good here for tomorrow, so that will be something i'll explore. 

[In red] I'm not sure this is true. A few days ago I was using a single iPhone to control my AZ-EQ6+SW WiFi adapter, with both apps working fine: SkySafari Pro and the SynScan App on the same device (iPhone 8plus).

Cheers, Magnus

8 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

[In red] I'm not sure this is true. A few days ago I was using a single iPhone to control my AZ-EQ6+SW WiFi adapter, with both apps working fine: SkySafari Pro and the SynScan App on the same device (iPhone 8plus).

Cheers, Magnus

That's useful to know - I'll edit my previous post to clarify

• Like 1