Mars – Best Ever View (And Polar Cap At Last!)

cloudsweeper

I had been keen to get some of the recently reported fine views of Mars, so when at 5.20am I spotted him at about 42deg, W of S, I set up the 102S frac (from shed), and saw – clouds!

Quick swing to E – there was Venus at about 27deg,  punching through the thin cloud, just over 50% illuminated.  Taking the mag to x120, the purple fringing became very distracting.

By 5.40, the sky was lightening, and Mars had reappeared.  Going to x200 I noticed the slightly gibbous aspect, and a small while spot to the south.  The first time I’ve seen a polar cap – great result!  Went to x240 briefly – even less sharp of course.  Back to x150 with the 4mm DeLite, and a dark, heart-shaped region of low albedo popped into view.

I then swapped the 102S for the ED80 Triplet.  It was 6.00, the sky was quite light, and Mars was only just visible naked eye.  Probably a combination of lower light from Mars, good seeing, and better optics immediately revealed a wonderfully sharp view of the Red Planet at x120 with the DeLite.  No trace of CA, of course.  I Barlowed the 5mm Xcel for x192, and had a magnificent view of the gibbous aspect, the clear white polar region, and two sharp, dark lobes to the centre/north.

The view corresponded with that on Sky Safari, but I can’t with any certainty identify those two dark lobes. 

6.10am – finished, as Mars faded from view.  A very satisfying session, and a great start to the day.

Doug.

• Like 5