SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

LDN 1228 - more data made a big difference

gorann

4 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

You have it all to come, Goran... 😁👹🤣

When you have wide, there is only one way to go and that's wider...

Olly

So, not just aperture fever, then?

2 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

You have it all to come, Goran... 😁👹🤣

When you have wide, there is only one way to go and that's wider...

Olly

Thanks for the reassurance Olly! And then I have the 14" Meade that will never run out of targets😄

16 minutes ago, gorann said:

Thanks for the reassurance Olly! And then I have the 14" Meade that will never run out of targets😄

This is exactly my personal history! I have no plans to use my 14 inch Meade for imaging since I think I can do better with my TEC140 (a different discussion) but the irony is that I never want to do mosaics with my small field of view/high res rig, only with my widefield.  Trust me, I never saw this coming...

Let's see if it happens to you, too!

😁lly

14 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

This is exactly my personal history! I have no plans to use my 14 inch Meade for imaging since I think I can do better with my TEC140 (a different discussion) but the irony is that I never want to do mosaics with my small field of view/high res rig, only with my widefield.  Trust me, I never saw this coming...

Let's see if it happens to you, too!

😁lly

Most probably Olly, but when the circle is closed maybe one day you find yourself doing 14" imaging on the most distant targets your skies can reach, and there is no end to them😉

Talking about wide field @ollypenrice, it just struck me how bl-dy big this dark nebula is. My image was taken with the same FOV that I managed to get the whole M31 into. Those dark monsters could eat a whole galaxy in minutes:

20200826-27 LDN1228 3daysPS21smallSign.jpg

20200815 M31 RASA Gain0+100 PS14smallSignSmall.jpg

LDH1228 M31 comparison.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 3

While you all were discussing colours and the benefits of aperture, I have been entertaining myself with the data that Göran provided earlier in this thread.

1812442429_20200826-27LDN12283days.thumb.jpg.510fe098c63caa8eb4e16494430f15f5.jpg

Background neutralised and colour calibrated using Photometric Colour Calibration in PixInsight. Then used Arcsinh stretch, which preserves colour. The left half of the dust cloud was considerably more gray than the right half, but playing with colour saturation in Curves Transformation in PI sorted that out.

Btw, @gorann, you might want to point your 14" barrel at these dust clouds, because they hide a few very interesting objects. I even found a few galaxies in the distant background. But those would require more than your Meade.

Edited by wimvb
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, wimvb said:

While you all were discussing colours and the benefits of aperture, I have been entertaining myself with the data that Göran provided earlier in this thread.

1812442429_20200826-27LDN12283days.thumb.jpg.510fe098c63caa8eb4e16494430f15f5.jpg

Background neutralised and colour calibrated using Photometric Colour Calibration in PixInsight. Then used Arcsinh stretch, which preserves colour. The left half of the dust cloud was considerably more gray than the right half, but playing with colour saturation in Curves Transformation in PI sorted that out.

Btw, @gorann, you might want to point your 14" barrel at these dust clouds, because they hide a few very interesting objects. I even found a few galaxies in the distant background. But those would require more than your Meade.

Great version Wim. You have gone for dust and I for contrast against the background sky. Maybe a 50:50 mix would nail it. And red-brown it is!

Edited by gorann
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

Nice image Gorann. It's a very feint nebula and you've managed to extract heaps of dust.

Thanks Richard, much appreiated! Have had a good run with my new RASA 8. Finally clouds have moved in so I can get some desent sleep🥱