NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Helios Question

Hi. I'm thinking of buying a 8" dob, and have been considering the Skywatcher Skyliner 200p.

I've seen this advertised which says it is a "Skywatcher/Helios Skyliner 200P" - http://ensoptical.co.uk/skywatcher-helios-200p

It seems to be cheaper than other dobs which claim to be Skywatcher Skyliner 200P, but don;t mention Helios. 

Is they the same thing, or is this something else?

As johninderby says, Synta used the Helios brand for scopes before they thought of the Skywatcher moniker.

38 minutes ago, Jm1973 said:

Is they the same thing

Not exactly. Those Helios dobs are F/5 while current 200p skyliners are F/6 if that matters to you.

38 minutes ago, Jm1973 said:

It seems to be cheaper than other dobs which claim to be Skywatcher Skyliner 200P

Bear in mind ENS sell used gear & that scope is around 20 years old.

Edited by lenscap

5 hours ago, lenscap said:

As johninderby says, Synta used the Helios brand for scopes before they thought of the Skywatcher moniker.

Not exactly. Those Helios dobs are F/5 while current 200p skyliners are F/6 if that matters to you.

Bear in mind ENS sell used gear & that scope is around 20 years old.

I independently realised it's F5 and the Skyliner is F6. I've been trying to find out which is better for my needs.

As I understand it the F5 is more susceptible to coma, and more likely to need collimating, and gives a wider FoV, but is more portable.

The F6 might be better for planetary/lunar with it's slightly higher magnification.

Is there that much in it? I kind of want an all rounder really. Observing planets, lunar, and some DSO once I get the hang of finding them. 

Saying that I didn;t know it was 20 years old. Maybe I'd be better find something a bit more recent. Any thoughts?