Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Wider field scope recommendations for imaging

Hi

So having got the 200/1000 newt up and running earlier this year I've been happily imaging at 1000mm. I'm looking at adding a second scope to the mix and a wider field. I started looking at the WO Zenithstar 61 with the 0.8x reducer/flattener. This would give me 288mm at f4.5. This seems to frame up some of the larger targets quite nicely (M45, M42, M31, Heart and soul etc) and at f4.5 it's also a bit faster than my newt. My plan is just for an additional scope at this point, so still mounting it on my EQ6-R pro with the ZWO ASI1600 + filter wheel and also reuse my guide scope/cam.

It turns out the 0.8x reducer is no longer available, seems some people have found issues (I don't know what) and WO are looking at it, so I was wondering what alternatives are available.  The ZWO redcat 51 is an obvious example, it's even wider but slightly slower, are there any similar quality, similarly priced scopes that people can recommend?

Thanks

6 hours ago, newbie alert said:

Maybe a sharpstar, think they're now doing the 60mm as a triplet

https://www.365astronomy.com/sharpstar-61edph-ed-triplet-apochromatic-refractor-telescope.html

Ooh, that's interesting, not seen them before. They do some nice fast newts too :).

Seems to get some good reviews if used with their own reducer/flattener.

Thanks

On 19/08/2020 at 06:31, newbie alert said:

Maybe a sharpstar, think they're now doing the 60mm as a triplet

https://www.365astronomy.com/sharpstar-61edph-ed-triplet-apochromatic-refractor-telescope.html

It's arrived this morning :), I got the reducer too for 275mm focal length, now for some more cloud......

Edited by Endolf
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

You can't just say that and then leave it...at least show us the reason why it's  peeing down

Here it is, I've attached my existing ASI1600MM Pro Cool and guidescope. It's at an odd angle so the guidescope looks slightly larger than it should, but as the guidescope is 50mm and the new scope is 61, there isn't a huge amount of difference :D

IMG_20200827_153345.thumb.jpg.1e3c529cce2e780dddc299de7d93052a.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gilesco said:

Cool, thought about an OAG?

Yup, also thought about the little QHY 30mm guide scope, for now I'll be using what I've been using on my 8" newtonian. The plan is to eventually build up a second, lighter rig, but for now I've just got the APO so will have to swap everything back and forth depending on the target.

Just now, Endolf said:

Yup, also thought about the little QHY 30mm guide scope, for now I'll be using what I've been using on my 8" newtonian. The plan is to eventually build up a second, lighter rig, but for now I've just got the APO so will have to swap everything back and forth depending on the target.

I wonder whether an OAG would work well with such a small aperture, probably need a very low noise guide camera.