Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How do I install my filter on my camera?

All, I have a 2” iptolong l_enhance filter which I am trying to fit to my Williams Optics adjustable field flattener and ZWO ASI 533 pro cam. I cannot see where it fits as the field flattener has a threaded connection and the filter only has threads on one side.

many thanks in advance. 

B1C3CC36-BC28-44A2-B532-C798D2E29CF5.jpeg

Thanks Steve, unfortunately that is not my flattener. This is the one I have. https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reducersflatteners/william-optics-adjustable-flat6a-iii-08x-reducer-flattener.html

Managed it put it on, but have removed it again as I am finding it impossible to focus the camera. Just about ready to put the damn scope in the bin. 

Finally managed to get it focussed after around 2 hours of back and forth with the auto focusser. Then tried a polar alignment using he the asi air pro which initially appeared to have worked but then after trying to “goto” an object clearly hadn’t. I then tried to use the “goto home command” which strangely put the scope out by around 45 degrees in declination which I don’t understand. 

1 hour ago, HydrogenBadger said:

Finally managed to get it focussed after around 2 hours of back and forth with the auto focusser. Then tried a polar alignment using he the asi air pro which initially appeared to have worked but then after trying to “goto” an object clearly hadn’t. I then tried to use the “goto home command” which strangely put the scope out by around 45 degrees in declination which I don’t understand. 

Goto won’t be accurate first time round regardless of how good your PA as your mount will be a little be out to what the goto commands think it is.

For imaging in particular plate solving is the answer. It sounds daunting at first but once you’ve nailed it you’ll never go back. If you’ve not looked at plate solving before what it does is goes to where it thinks the object should be, takes a shortish exposure, matches the stars to a database and works out exactly where the scope is actually pointing, adjusts the mount, takes another exposure, matches etc until the object is centred. And by centred last night I got targets centred to 2-3 arc seconds. 

As for the park position, I suspect the software may have a different home position stored. I am not familiar with the Air software but there will be a way of telling it the scope’s current position is home. So you’d manually set the mount to where you want home to be and then tell it to use that position going forward.

3 hours ago, dannybgoode said:

Goto won’t be accurate first time round regardless of how good your PA as your mount will be a little be out to what the goto commands think it is.

For imaging in particular plate solving is the answer. It sounds daunting at first but once you’ve nailed it you’ll never go back. If you’ve not looked at plate solving before what it does is goes to where it thinks the object should be, takes a shortish exposure, matches the stars to a database and works out exactly where the scope is actually pointing, adjusts the mount, takes another exposure, matches etc until the object is centred. And by centred last night I got targets centred to 2-3 arc seconds. 

As for the park position, I suspect the software may have a different home position stored. I am not familiar with the Air software but there will be a way of telling it the scope’s current position is home. So you’d manually set the mount to where you want home to be and then tell it to use that position going forward.

Thanks Danny, my understanding is the ASI air pro uses platesolving as part of the goto routine. However, mine failed after slewing to the target - please see screen shot of the error. 

I will have a look to see how to set the home position. 

1871AC58-EADA-4350-944F-0B40C055E700.jpeg

Interesting - did it complete the plate solving and re-run the routine to try and centre the image?  I am not familiar with ASI air software but it does not look hugely different to KStars/EKOS and that just works.  Goto target and then in the Align tab just click slew to target, capture and solve and off it goes and does its thing..

On 19/08/2020 at 14:47, HydrogenBadger said:

It tried to validate and centre 5 times before giving an error message. I then selected Polaris as a target to check polar alignment and the scope shot off and was out by about 45 deg to the west.

Went to try the polar alignment again but was thwarted by clouds!

What was the error message? Things that affect plate solving are the scope and camera not being correctly input so the FoV is not calculated correctly and the exposure time being too short so not enough stars show. 

Other things to check are the basics; is the location set correctly, time and date right, home position recorded properly. It’s all a proper fiddle at first. I’ve lost many nights just not being able to PA, plate solve, focus etc. Not so bad at the moment whilst the nights are warm but losing a whole night whilst also nearly losing your fingers to frostbite is frustrating to say the least. 

Then one day it all comes together and like riding a bike, you can just get it to work.