Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

3D printed Megrez 72 accessories

wormix

I have recently acquired a 3D printer so set to work printing all and sundry, including some items for my new Megrez. 

Currently have a Bahtinov mask from thingiverse and 2 of my own designs created using Fusion 360. 

First up is a screw mount to convert a 9x50 finder to guidescope - the only design on thingiverse involves removing the front filter so I decided to modify to allow direct connection.  Couldn’t find the specs online so a lot of trial and error involved but gave a good introduction to both Fusion and 3D printing in general. 

Second is a guidescope mount to fit the unorthodox finder shoe on the Megrez. I could have swapped out for a traditional Vixen style, even have one in my spares box - but where’s the fun in that!?  Also wanted to be able to use the WO red dot finder I have. Couple of iterations as the first design was unnecessarily tall and introduced some flex, plus the fore/aft motion was a bit much so I added in some stats front and back to brace it against the OTA. Also did a couple of M5 screws, just because I could!  

Printed 100% fill and it is rock solid with no perceivable movement, but will see what PHD2 says when I finally get a clear night. Eventually I may even print it in gold silk to match the Meg. 

One day I’ll get bored of this 3D printing lark, but still going strong at the moment!

45DCA204-7F3F-424B-9F80-7B4652F7CA9E.jpeg

06739E1E-CC41-4C49-AAB7-57CDDD1EF941.jpeg

AF48F4C5-E0C3-49C8-AE48-DB21A04AA3AD.jpeg

0C401DD4-E1AD-4253-9FFD-4294F58E025D.jpeg

80A8FAA3-00B6-4E1E-961C-A29D8AACB256.jpeg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Still not getting bored - latest addition is a 1.25” desiccant cap. 

Does anyone know of any reason why PLA might not be suitable for keeping within the scope?  Is it inert or could it release anything that could damage my lens?

The guidescope rings are working a treat - I’m getting 5min subs no problems at all so obviously no flexure

9CADDFED-4FDA-4A6B-B458-6D06ED464225.jpeg

D9C55631-C650-4FBF-B762-C17B0ADA06EA.jpeg

70DAC046-7DBA-492B-8A46-716E6167E2DC.jpeg

20 hours ago, wormix said:

Does anyone know of any reason why PLA might not be suitable for keeping within the scope?  Is it inert or could it release anything that could damage my lens?

Maybe it still releases some particles when its a finished product?   I dont know.  But I wouldn’t test it in your scope to be honest.  

i think there is a market for these white adapters from your first pic.  I think.   I once wanted to use my skywatcher finderscope as a guider.  But didn’t want to pay €30,- just for the ring to go from m49? to T2.   

Edited by Robindonne